Need help with action

Mauser Larry

Inactive
Hope someone can identify what action fits this Darwin Hensley stock.
Action screws are 7 inch centers.

Attachments

• Darwin Hensley 004.JPG
    Darwin Hensley 004.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Darwin Hensley 006.JPG
    Darwin Hensley 006.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 67
  • darwin 005.JPG
    darwin 005.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
haven't a clue.
Not much info in the post for even an educated guess I'm afraid.
Can you give some history on the stock?
Details would be very beneficial. It looks like it might be a premium piecs of wood but there isn't enough in the photos to tell.
Can you post detailed pics as well?

need help with action more pics

Heres some more pics. Hope these help

Attachments

• darwin 009.JPG
    darwin 009.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 66
  • darwin 003.JPG
    darwin 003.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 48
  • darwin 001.JPG
    darwin 001.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 46
It is for a Mauser, going by the area where the bolt stop fits and where its sharp screw actually seems to have been. I think it is for a 98 Mauser, but what length action I can't tell.

Jim

I don't know what it's for but it seems like that pointed section in the front of the trigger guard assembly seems to be a big clue.

That half-race track inlet behind the recoil lug inlet is not for a K-98. Mausers K-98s have flat bottom receivers and that entire area should be flush.

Any chance it's from whatever this is?
http://www.hallowellco.com/hensley heilmann welch the FOX.htm

hensley-fox-midunder-right-n.jpg

hensley-fox-close-left-n.jpg

Not much doubt about it. That rifle takes "custom Mauser" to a whole new level. Also, note the part about "Complete extra stock ...." which could explain where the OP's stock came from.

Jim

That circular lug at the back of the tang looks familiar. Whatever it is, it is the same size from front to back, so it is not a large-ring 98, nor is it a small-ring Mauser. Siamese Mauser?

need help

From the measurements of the stock I believe this fits a Mauser Kurz action.
Also I discovered Darwin Hensley used Kurz actions in some of his builds.
Now does anyone has a Kurz action laying around they don't want.:)

The other thing that is wrong are the lungs. The lungs on a mauser action are set back more from the cutout for the magazine.

An Oberndorf K Mauser, the Kurz action for 8x51 and 6.5x54 is a small ring action and is even longer than this one.

I think this is a "jeep" action cut down from a regular '98 to be JUST long enough for the R2.

The description at Hallowell's says:
"Metalwork by Steve Heilmann including custom extra-kurz Mauser double-squarebridge action"

They have another of the same ilk, at
http://www.hallowellco.com/hensley heilmann 22 cheetah.htm

Contact Mr Heilmann at
http://www.metalandwood.com/

My sister sent me a link to this post she found when she Google'd dad's name.

If you haven't already....
Jim is right, Steve would have the most info on that rifle. Dad (Darwin Hensley) didn't keep a lot of details in his records, at least not much that can be easily found by me. Give Steve a shout, he worked with dad on several rifles and was one of his favorite metal smiths.

I'll mention this post next time I talk with him, it will please him that he is still remembered for his stock work. I learned a lot from him and am grateful for having him as a father. Just a great guy overall.
Take care,
Trez

Last edited:
Back