Need help with 338 Lapua build

Crosshair

Well I picked up, among other things, a Bauska BBK-02 Magnum action at the auction yesterday. It is setup for 338 Lapua. It comes with a stock, so the only thing I need is a barrel.

The action is about 90% finish and the thumbhole wood stock is nice. So I need something higher quality than a Jaded 50 type build, but doesn't need to be as much as a Barrett.

I got the stock and action for $500, that seems like a good price. Anyone know better?

Figure a 30" barrel? Anyone have good recommendations for a mid-range barrel make? I have a smith that can put things together.

Thanks

What you need is a barrel that will fit that receiver. Any idea what thread it uses?
You planning on staying with the over priced(match ammo starts at roughly $90 per 20) Lapua? Any reason for 30"?
Kreiger wants $345.00 for a .338 barrel. Same for a McGowan SS match barrel.
You really need to decide on how much money you want to spend first.

A Pac Nor blank would be $297.
Turned, threaded, chambered, and fitted add $300.
So how much will your gunsmith be doing?

What you need is a barrel that will fit that receiver. Any idea what thread it uses?
Standard large ring Mauser, 1.10 inch x 12 tpi. Confirmed by screwing in an extra LR barrel I have.

You planning on staying with the over priced(match ammo starts at roughly $90 per 20) Lapua? Any reason for 30"?
I'll handlod. 30" because I'll be stuffing it with lots of slow burning powder.

So how much will your gunsmith be doing?
I was hoping to get something that is already profiled.

A competent custom gunsmith will be able to thread and mount a custom barrel.
A little closer to home and renowned barrel maker, Dan Lilja, exclusive supplier of barrels to the Navy Seals, 30 and 50 cal, offers a 30" 1 1/2", barrel in 7", 9" 10', 12" twist for $380.

Dan will recommend a competent smith, but doesn't fit barrels himself. I believe this is policy for most all makers.

I recommend E.R. Shaw barrels.
Have one on my 284 Win Mauser build. Love this!

24", polished, blued, 11 degree recessed target crown. 1.5 contour.
$272 delivered to my door.
People there actually answer the phone and are really helpful.
Do allow 12 weeks for delivery though.

During break in i put 5 rounds into 0.93", using 162gr ELDX and middle of the road randomly picked charge of RL19. Using pack for front rest on bench, no rear bag. POS scope.

Check out Bryce Towsley's Facebook page. He loves them too and has same success with them.

I recommend E.R. Shaw barrels.
Have one on my 284 Win Mauser build. Love this!
Putting Shaw on a custom rifle is like putting junk yard tires on your new BMW. (They may be OK but they are probably rotten.) It appears you got a good one. There is no way I would put a Shaw on a precision rifle. Shaw is usually a downgrade from factory.

Reynolds357,
I'm not the only one getting good results.
If you only buy Pirelli's don't poo on BFG's!!

Shaw spent quite a good sum the other year on new CNC machines.

I'll let you all know how my 250 Savage build goes.
Also planning on ordering heavy barrel from them for designated range gun.
7mm-08. I'll do finish reaming myself to AI.

Btw. I worked at a tire shop untill recently. You'd be amazed at the people driving BMW, Mercedes asking for used tires.

30" barrel length is fine for the .338 LM
Not much info on those actions, "regular" magnum actions may not be safe for this chambering.
Major manufacturers have beefed up actions for their .338 LM actions...

Just saying...I'd do due diligence before proceeding. The .338 LM has over 37,000 lbs. of bolt thrust, compared to the .416 Rigby at around 29,000.

Big difference.

Your smith will be liable, I would discuss all of this with him- including barrel selection based on your budget and intended use.

Btw. I worked at a tire shop untill recently. You'd be amazed at the people driving BMW, Mercedes asking for used tires.
I said "junk yard" not used. Huge difference. Shaw, even the new stuff, is low end. You want to throw a prefit on a Savage its one thing. If I am going to put 8 hours of machine/build time, then cryo, then Cerakote; it is going to be a Lilja. To each his own.

Back