Need help with 1911.

sundance43.5

I saw the movie Wild Bunch with William Holden today, and it convinced me to get a 1911. My question is, where can I get the most historically accurate one? Is the Springfield Mil-Spec accurate? What others are?

Thanks

It depends on whether you want a "real" 1911 or a 1911A1.
There were several modifications to the 1911 to make it the A1. The mods were approved in 1927. (IIRC)
They included,
Frame relief cuts behind the trigger

The wide spur of the 1911 was replaced with a narrow one

Short trigger

(very slightly) improved sights

The flat Mainspring housing was replaced with the now common Arched housing

If you want a historically accurate 1911, you pretty much have to start cruising the gunshows for originals.
They're not that hard to find, and "beater" quality guns are not too expensive.

The Springfield Mil-Spec is a pretty close copy of the M1911A1, but even so, it's not exact.
Again, for a "correct" pistol, cruise the gunshows, the collector grade guns ain't cheap, but the shooters are reasonably priced and can be tuned up fairly cheaply.

What Your Looking for Isn't Cheap!

You are looking for a pre WWI Colt and if it is in very good condition they are expensive. Regards, Richard

The 1911A1 of the WWII era with parkerized finish is what Mark655 is talking about on the 1911forum. Not the original 1911. We asked if maybe an original 1911 would be produced as a 100 year anniversary model and he said it would probably be to much effort to retool to produce them. All we can do is wait and see. I wish they would make them too.

Another option would be to buy a Sistema Model 1927. It is an exact copy of the 1911A1 and is reasonably priced.

PigPen

There are plenty of flat mainspring housings around; easy enough to replace. Creates a "close enough" appearance for most purposes.

Art

Back