Need Help. What is the best affordable "cheap" CCW gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Correia

Ok, I'm pretty sure that I'm finally going to take that step and get my CCW. I had been saving for a while, but now my wife is pregnant, so I'm going to have to readjust my finances a little bit. :) Yes, yes thanks for your congratulations.

I'm looking for your opinions on what is the best affordable small gun. Hopefully in the under $400 closer to $300 range. I am not limiting my self to autos only. People have used .38 snubs for carry for a century and they have worked too.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. I had been planning on getting a 4513 tsw, but the whole baby thing kind of makes you examine $600 gun purchases.

Especiallly want info Kel-Tecs, Taurus, and the Patriot. Thanks.

I am geting a taurus Totally tinumi 7 shot 357mag very light weight i belive its 19 ounce and rated for high loads. if you are worried about the compsantor up in front you can load 38 +p loads and that would make a fine ccw carry gun. Also the compact glocks are nice but for me they are kinda big. Well i hope i hellped.

Shoot - you could have had my PPK/S for 3...
But its gone now - as of 4:30 yesterday. (my today still)

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Right now the Kel-tec is looking the most likely. But I do kind of like snubbies, I'll decide sometime in the next month.

I would have had to pass on the ppk anyway. My hands are too big, shooting a walther tends to remove a lot of skin from the back of my hand.

if LOW COST is the prime mover here you might want to look at a Makarov in 9x18, it is very much like a Walther but a bit larger and a LOT cheaper (under $200) and mine has worked with many diff mfg's and has had no problems with missfeeds (unlike my keyboard ;) ) as a bonus there is a fine Hornady XTP load for it.

oh PPK/S is a walther PP model made out of stainless steel

Thanks guys for the help. But down at the gunstore a minute ago I just saw where I could order a Kahr E9, Kahrs economy model. For about $300. I just opened a new topic to see if anybody had any experience with these. And if they where comparable to the regular Kahrs.

FWIW, you may be able to find a factory-rebuilt Glock in your price range. Quality guns with a full warranty.

don't say cheap! You'll be accused of wanting a Sat Night Special. Say "inexpensive".

Look around for a nice used S&W snubbie, or even a Taurus. You can easily find good ones in the $300 range or less, I think.

I sent an e-mail to Kahr asking about the E9, and it looks like thats what I'm going to get. The finish isn't as nice, the front sight is pinned on (so no night sights). The grips are hard instead of the soft rubber. And these are only tested for 5000 rounds in stead of 10,000. And they come with one mag.

But it fits me better than anything else in this price range. And it is only for the short-term, I'll get my dream gun when I can afford it.

Thanks for all of you input guys.

Played with a Kahr in 9mm and 40 S&W at a LE show. The gun handled nicely, shot accurately enough at 25 yards and I left with an overall favorable impression. I wouldn't hesitate giving up my PPK/S for either one of those Kahrs.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Take a look at the S&W Sigma series. I carry an enhanced Sigma in .40S&W and find it accurate, reliable and a good buy for the money. Brand new they're in the 330-350 range. You can also get them in 9mm. You'll hear some comments on here about problems with them from when they first came out, but my experience with the pistol has been excellent. I'm on my second one as my son took over my first one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back