Need help washing ammunition

Gravemind

Inactive
I've got a few hundred handgun rounds (.40) that unfortunately had cat pee get on them some time ago. What's the best way to wash them with typical household whatnots?

I was thinking fill up some kinda container large enough for the rounds and some hot soapy water, give 'em a quick swirl then rinse them off in a strainer, and then put them on something flat like a towel in front of a fan. Think that'd work?

They're not so bad they're corroded or anything, just smell and make anything they touch reek like cat piss. I just need them clean without anything making them unsafe later if they ever get used.

That ought to work, but don't soak them. Ammo is not as waterproof as you might think.

"If they get used" is not a factor, I would only shoot them in practice. Be sure you get a bullet hole every shot.

I'm not sure what the chemistry of cat whiz does to brass. Brass is not happy with ammonia.

I would assume these are water soluble "chemicals" you are trying to get rid of.

While,in theory,the interference fits of the bullet and primer SHOULD be waterproof,I don't know that I'd submerge or soak them.

Maybe spread them out on a towel,spray with vinegar Windex and wipe dry.

Having said that,its just my opinion,no better than anyone elses.

I have no experience with urinated upon ammo.

HiBC your point is very well made. Cat urine smells like ammonia because it contains ammonia. Brass is subject to stress corrosion cracking (aks 'season cracking') in ammonia.

I'd be very leery of firing these rounds, but I'm risk-averse and prone to thinking that anything bad that "can" happen, inevitably will happen.

If the OP does shoot them, he should examine the spent brass carefully for incipient cracks. And please report back if it is either ok, or not ok. Thanks.

Cat Pee ... I thought I had heard everything ...this is a new one ...but
1.) don't soak them under water ...most ammo isn't sealed & water proof.
2.) I would lay out 50 or so on a old towel and spray them with Febreze 2X Pet Odor Defense odor eliminator...this stuff works wonders on cat pee smell ...it does neutralize the smell , spray lightly then rub with another towel .
I don't know what the odor neutralizer does to brass so after getting them un smelling you probably should wipe them down with a little Rem-Oil or something like that .
Cat urine not only smells but is acidic and will probably corrode metal so wipe each one carefully .
Maybe a quick rinse in water mixed with baking soda would be ok , quick in , quick out and towel dry ... I've never washed ammo before ...good luck .
Gary

1: Take one cartridge and clean it using the method posted by gwpercle above.

2: Shoot the cat.

3: If 1 and 2 above work out Ok repeat the cleaning for the remaining cartridges and use them first, don't let them sit on the shelf forever.

The choice might be cat urine on the ammo or mouse turds in the silverware drawer.

Just a little care with ammo storage will remove the cat's opportunity to pee on the ammo. That problem solved,the cat can then keep the mice at bay.

No,I don't like cats. But ordinarily,IF there is a cat in the house,there is at least one other person in the house that would take great exception to shooting the cat.

Don't leave your ammo in an open box on the floor in the corner looking like a cat box.

Back