Need help picking a new "tactical folder"

Carbon_15

My S&W SWAT has finaly succumb to the pressures of daily use. I want something relatively light and flat with a pocket clip for under or around $200. Oh yea, I want something nice looking to. I know its un-cooth to buy a knife/gun based on looks, but realisticly it will mostly be used for opening boxes and such. Plucking out a splinter will in all probability be the only blood it sees. But, its nice to have some type of backup for the CCW. Besides, any of the top name folders should hold up nicely, even if they arent ugly. BTW, nice looking dosnt always mean shiney with gold trim and wood inlay. Right now I'm thinking about the Al Mar SERE 2000, Klotzli KL030, Microtech SOCOM, and Benchmade 875 (and similar Elishewitz designed Benchmade's)
I prefer a clip or spear point between 3-3.5 inches, but other blade shapes/sizes are an option. If you have any info on the above knives or pictures and links to other suggestions, that would be great.

P.S. Does anyone know if the Boker 2040 w/ Ceramic blade/titanium handle has a pocket clip?

Ceramic Blades

I have used ceramic blades, they are one of the sharpest blades you can cut with. There's only one drawback to them; if you drop the blade on to a hard surface it will more than likely break because they are brittle. If you have a Ceramic blade just keep it in a box, and remove it when you want to show your frends how sharp it is.

Also, I'd stick with the Benchmade. They are truly an outstanding functional knife.

Not really a "knife guy". I have only taken two knife classes outside what instruction I have received in martial arts.

However, I do like the Spyderco Endura II, the bigger one. I suggest looking at it at least. Most of the Knife Guys I know carry more than one knife anyway.

I do not think you can go wrong with a delica, endura, police, or military model from spyderco. Spyderco has great knives for the money. If you want some really great advice check out www.bladeforums.com. You will get a ton of suggestions and these guys really know their stuff. The only neggative side to bladeforums is that you will probably wind up buying more than one knife or spending more than $200 dollars. :)

Spyderco- the quality of Benchmade (debatable, but I think so), and it costs a bit less. They occupy a really nice spot on the cost/quality curve. I like the Endura and the Military.

REKAT- If you want a knife that is TOUGH and looks it, consider the REKAT Carnivour, or possibly Pioneer. These things are rugged. The ergonomics on the Carnivour are superb...you're unlikely to find one at a knife shop (alas), so its kind of a matter of faith, but these puppies were designed to be held tight under tough conditions. The locking mechanism looks chintzy (what, this little plastic slide-switch?) but it is probably the strongest lock on the market. http://www.cutlerytogo.com/rekat.html

Chris Reeve- if you want something almost as strong as the REKAT but that looks refined, go with a Sebenza.

Thanks for all the help so far guys. I guess I should have said from the start that I'm not a Spyderco fan. I'm not saying they dont make great knives, but they just dont tickle my fancy, looks wise. If you like the looks, I dont see how you could go wrong with something from the spyderco line-up. I guess it might be a little flaky, but when I pick a new gun or knife or whatever, I tend to first narrow the field to top knotch stuff that fits my needs. Then I pick the one that I'm most draw to. Functionality and likeability can go together.

ronin308, gee thanks for reminding me how much I want a custom folder ;)
I could justify 3-5 hundred bucks for a pocket knife, I would buy out Crish reeve and Mel Pardue.

I'd like to suggest a Benchmade AFCK (4" blade) or the runt brother Mini AFCK. It has the Spyderco thumbhole for easy opening, but it's better on looks, since you're not too fond of Spyderco's. Liner lock, G-10, and ATS-34 blade.

Check out the Benchmade 940 series Osborne. The 942 (all-black) is my daily weak-side carry and it's amazingly light and compact. The 940 has a green handle with purple accents and is very "pretty" and non-threatening. I've had no QC problems with Benchmade.

The Microtech LCC is a very sturdy knife, but it's not really light and flat compared to others. I'm not familiar with the SOCOM, but it may be a better option for you. Microtech quality is top-notch.

If you're interested in a recurve blade, the Camillus EDC is an excellent value, and available in several different configurations (I have the 154CM steel, which is now standard I believe). For a slightly larger blade, check out the Emerson Commander. The "Wave" quick-opening feature is great. Either one of these, or the giant REKAT Sifu, is my daily strong-side carry.

BTW, when I decided to upgrade my cheapo traditional pocket knife to a modern folder, I visited the local mall's Chesapeake Knife & Tool and handled everything they had in stock, finally deciding on the Benchmade 942. Even though the local shops will be more expensive than buying online, this might be a good way to go, especially since you can check the QC on the exact knife you're buying. I also like the instant gratification. :D

The smaller CRKT Crawford-Kasper folder - Fastest non-spring-assisted folder I've ever seen. I took the clip off mine - decided I didn't like it. The rounded corners don't tear up my pockets.

Also own, and occasionally carry, Spyder Endura, CRKT M-16Z plain tanto, and CRKT Ryan (don't carry much). They're all great on boxes.

Get two. One for boxes and splinters, one for social work. The latter is made as sharp as practical, and is not used for any other purpose, so it will BE sharp when you need it.

How sharp can a single purpose knife be? Well, I had occasion to sharpen some filleting knives for a head & neck surgeon, just before his first fishing trip of the year. When he came back, my boss (the doctor's buddy) had stitches in his hand and a comment from the surgeon. He thought the knives were sharper than his scalpels.

THAT'S the kind of sharp you want for social work. NOT been-cuttin-cardboard-for-six-months-since-I-last-sharpened-this-knife sharp. THAT makes about as much sense as using cheap ammo in your carry gun.

I just picked up a Camillus CUDA EDC from the Knife Center of the Internet (Best prices I've found on the net so far, huge selection, great service - www.knifecenter.com) I went for the CM154 steel blade. It's a great work knife and has a nice full-bellied blade for slicing. It's a little short (3") for social work, but it'll do in a pinch, it's very sharp. I have a bunch of knives, and I find the CRKT and Spyderso hard to beat in price/performance, and you don't feel too bad if you ever do trash it. There are just so many decent knives available these days in the $50-150 range, it's a good time to be a knife guy/gal. Good luck.

sig2.JPG

Hard to beat a Benchmade. Emersons are nice also. A Emerson Benchmade is my favorite.
Food for thought; The more "tactical" or warlike your knife looks the harder it is to explain why you are carrying it. There seems to be a general predjudice against bladed weapons anyway.

kahrmk40.JPG

That is why a smaller Gerber E-Z out is my everyday companion. And its size is pushing the envelope in most jurisdictions.

captainHoek, Thats why I sharpen my knives about as often as I rotate my carry ammo...or as needed. I'm kinda funny about dull knives. I will not..no, WILL NOT, carry/use a dull knife. Be it tool or weapon, a dull knife is like an empty gun...useless, asking for trouble, and easily remedied. Please note: when I describe a knife as a tool, I dont mean opening Vieanna Sausage cans and turning screws, i mean general cutting tasks. If a package comes in from UPS, I'm going to use the knife that in my pocket at the time to cut it open. Of cource, when I get home, its going to get a few passes on the 'ol Japanese stone to resore the razor edge. But I fail to see how one quality knife isnt up to both tasks with proper care and feeding.

riddleofsteel, I agree. I cant tell you how many times I've heard the sheeple gasp at anything black w/ a thumb stud, when someone asked to borrow a pocket knife. Thats one of the reasons I'm thinking about the Al Mar SERE 2000. It looks, build and even marketing seem to suggest more tool, less weapon. The Klotzli with the lime green carbon fiber slabs seems to suggest that as well, but i dont really like the blade shape (straight edge, curved spine..flatened hawkbill).

I hate to admit it but sheeple's reactions had a large influence on my most recent knife purchase and my current knife EDC. I opted for a Spyderco Delica with a blue handle. Even with the smaller blade and blue handle I still get gasps from the sheeple. Pretty soon they will the think my leatherman micra is too scary looking.

"...mostly be used for opening boxes and such. Plucking out a splinter will in all probability be the only blood it sees."
This criterion may best be met by a multitool. How about the Leatherman Wave. Someone else replying to this thread said that the "more 'tactical' or warlike your knife looks the harder it is to explain why you are carrying it." The Wave is quite mundane and won't attract much attention if worn on the belt

If you insist on carrying a "tactical folder," carry one that has a low profile like the Al Mar SERE 2000 (in black) or the EDI Genesis (also black). Get some more training with it, too. You probably practice with your CCW firearm; why not with the 'tactical folder.' The Filipino blade arts is a good start. My first intro to Blade 101 35 years ago was a rude awakening. The first words out of the Filipino Master's mouth was "...if you carry knife, expect to eventually get cut." We didn't have rubber training blades to train with back in the 60s and the instructor believed in realism so the bamboo knives got shelved. I got 2 cuts on the first lesson. I stayed in class for many years and still train daily. If forced to use a blade for combat, I'll likely filet whomever I'm up against. I'd would rather NOT use the blade. It's "...harder... to explain." If you run into a BG with even the most perfunctory training in 'blade,' forget yours if your 'primary' CCW firerarm malfunctions or runs dry, reach for the BUG or run.

"...backup for the CCW."
A BUG would be best for this.

Back