Need help on some terminology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirex288

I'm practically new to handguns. Can someone explain these in plain english?
1. Single Action
2. Double Action
3. Double Action Only

1: Single Action-The hammer has to be cocked (held back by the sear) before the gun can fire. The trigger only trips the sear, which drops the hammer.
2: Double Action-A long pull on the trigger can cock the hammer. Or the hammer can be pulled back by hand to cock it.
3: Double Action Only-The hammer can only be cocked by pulling the trigger.

That's about as plain as I can get, it would be easier with diagrams or actual guns. Try going to a gun shop and asking the owner if you still don't understand. He should be glad to show you. If he snubs you then shop elsewhere.

------------------
Arizona Morgan, The Official Armchair Warrior

[This message has been edited by ArizonaMorgan (edited August 22, 1999).]

This is how it works in most standard semi auto's.
When you rack the slide a bullet gets chambered and the hammer is locked back. You are now in the single action mode. A short trigger pull fires the gun.
If you were to decock the hammer with the bullet still chambered you would be in the double action mode. When you pull the trigger it pulls the hammer back and at the end of the trigger pull the hammer releases and fires the gun.
Once the gun fires the slide moves back and resets the hammer into the single action mode.
Double action only just removes the mechanics that hold the hammer back. The only way to fire this gun is by pulling the hammer back with the trigger.

I carry my handgun chambered with the hammer down (double action). This way if the situation called for me to shoot I won't have an accidental discharge because of the light single action pull.
The heavier double action pull forces me to use some effort on the first shot so I have time to think before it goes BANG!

------------------
"It is easier to get out of jail then it is a morgue"
Live long and defend yourself!
John 3:16

There is, arguably, also a fourth category -- found in striker autos, like the Glock. This is called Safe Action.

It is very similar to double action only, but there is no hammer involved. A very small portion of the trigger stroke "cocks" or sets the striker; the remaining portion of the trigger movement releases the striker, which fires the weapon.

Spirex288,

Here's my quick-n'-dirty guide to trigger types:

Single Action - The trigger does only one thing: activating the previously cocked firing mechanism.

Double Action - The trigger does two things: cocking the firing mechanism and then activating it.

A single action pistol works like a rifle, where the firing mechanism is cocked by working the bolt/slide and kept locked by a safety lever until the shooter is ready to fire. Example: Colt Government Model.

A single action revolver is carried with the hammer uncocked (over an empty chamber). The shooter uses his thumb to cock the hammer (an action which also rotates the cylinder) before each shot. Example: Ruger Vaquero.

The world of double action is where things get confusing. Generally speaking, the advantage of a double action sidearm is that a shooter can fire his weapon by simply pressing the trigger without having to thumb back the hammer or disengage a safety.

Traditional double action (TDA) pistols are carried with the hammer uncocked. They also have a safety lever which can be engaged or left in the ready-to-fire position at the user's option. After the shooter uses the trigger to cock and release the trigger for the first shot, the rearward motion of the slide automatically cocks the hammer for the second and subsequent shots. When the shooter is done firing, he must use the safety lever (which also functions as a decocker) to lower the hammer back to its pre-firing condition. Example: Walther PPK.

A double-action-only (DAO) pistol has no safety or decocking levers. The pistol is carried with the hammer down and the hammer must be cocked by the trigger for each and every shot; it returns to the uncocked position automatically after being pushed back by the slide. Example: KelTec P11.

A double action (DA) revolver is carried with the hammer down on a loaded chamber. Normally, the shooter would cock and release the hammer by pressing the trigger (which also rotates the cylinder). The shooter also has the option of thumb-cocking the hammer before firing for a shorter, lighter trigger pull. Example: Ruger Redhawk.

Confused yet? :) Just keep in mind that, as a rule of thumb, single action handguns are older designs with short, light trigger pulls that are generally used for competition or hunting. Double action handguns are newer designs with long, heavy trigger pulls that are generally used for police service and personal protection.

There are many variations and exceptions, so please ask if you have questions about a particular handgun.

Spirex288,

It should be noted that there are two definitions for the term "double action". Both have been brought up in the above posts.

Arizona's definition indicates the ability to set two different firing modes: "2: Double Action-A long pull on the trigger can cock the hammer. *Or* the hammer can be pulled back by hand to cock it." (i.e., 1: You can squeeze the trigger [with the hammer at rest] which raises and releases the hammer. 2: You can manually cock the hammer and release it by squeezing the trigger. In this case, two different firing modes = "double".

Matt's definition says that the trigger [with the hammer at rest], in a single squeezing motion, will do two things. That is raise the hammer *AND* release it. In this case, squeezing the trigger performs two actions on the hammer = "double". (In contrast to single action which, with the hammer cocked, simply releases the hammer.)

There have been discussions on this issue (not just here on TFL) and it goes pretty much like 'which do you prefer, SA or DA, 9 or 45, SIG or HK or Glock, .223 or .308, etc.' You pick what you think is right and go with it.

- Ron V.

------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back