need help on Savage .22

EntilZha

Inactive
Hello all, I have a bolt action rifle with the following markings;
Manufactured by Savage Arms Corp. Utica N.Y. U.S.A.
Patented Nov 28, 1905 Sep 7, 1915 Sep 4, 1917 Nov 20, 1917
22-long rifle

All these markings are on the top of the barrel. The rifle is apparently fed with a detachable box magazine which apparently holds 5 rounds maximum. There are four screws (please forgive my newbie terminology) for a scope mount on the left side of the barrel, and apparently a spot for iron sights on the top of the barrel. There is no serial number that I can find anywhere. A friend of mine who saw the rifle said it looked like it might be a .22 trainer for the Springfield rifle.

Any info on the origin, care and maintenance, disassembly, heck any info of any sort for this rifle would be very appreciated.
Thanks a lot,
Steve

Sounds like you might have a variation of the Model 19, possibly the Model 19 NRA variant. This was a .22 caliber bolt-action with a 25" barrel, detachable magazine and full length military style stock. Approximately 50,000 manufactured between 1919 and 1937. The Model 19L is the same with a Lyman receiver sight. The Model 19M has a 28" barrel fitted with telescope sight bases. These variants mfgd 1933 to 1942.

Thanks a lot fal308! I looked up the model 19 found a picture and bang theres the rifle. NRA version with the full stock. This rifle was given to my father from my great-grandfather when he was about 10 which would be 1942 which gibes with the manufacturing dates. Time to work it up and take it to the range.
My sincerest thanks,
Steve

Back