Need help on a Remington 700 issue

BuckWheat

I have a remington 700 BDL in .308. I'm trying to determine if it is normal for the 5th round to be VERY difficult to get into the magazine. Also, when I try to chamber the 1st round (out of 5), it is very difficult to get the bolt to move forward and seat the round. I'm guessing it has to do with the round being so tightly held in the magazine. The question is: Is this normal? Should it be this difficult to get the 5th round into the magazine? Thanks for any input.

BuckWheat. Remington 700 magazines are designed to hold four rounds. You can put four in, hold them down a bit and put the fifth in the chamber, and close the bolt. I have two Remington 700's an ADL and BDL, both in 30-06, (the ADL is my sons) and a Remington 660. They all suffer from the same affliction. You can force the fifth round into the magazine, but as you have found out, it takes some force to do so and then chamber the round.
Hope this answers your question.
Paul B.

From a benchrest, the 4+1 is of no importance. In hunting, I tend to want to have "all it'll hold", so I load four in the mag and one in the chamber--and always leave the bolt-handle up.

I've never had a safety fail, but so what? It might, and that's scary enough for me. I know for sure that with the bolt-handle up, it can't make unpleasant noises.

On some rifles, you can close the bolt more quietly than you can take it off safety. No "Click!", and Bambi doesn't get an early warning about Bad Guys.
smile.gif

FWIW, Art

On the Art of the Rifle forum, someone suggested grinding off the legs on the follower to allow for an extra round. Anyone tried this?

I was working on the design of a short action drop box magazine to increase capacity and this might help- would like more info before I grind...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BuckWheat:
I have a remington 700 BDL in .308. I'm trying to determine if it is normal for the 5th round to be VERY difficult to get into the magazine. Also, when I try to chamber the 1st round (out of 5), it is very difficult to get the bolt to move forward and seat the round. I'm guessing it has to do with the round being so tightly held in the magazine. The question is: Is this normal? Should it be this difficult to get the 5th round into the magazine? Thanks for any input.[/quote]

I've heard that the USMC uses a Winchester Model 70 magazine 'door' or 'floorplate' on the Remington 700 'short action' in .308 to get 5 rounds is the mag. If you really want 5 round mag see if you can do this.
Robb

USMC uses the Winchester M70 Floorplate and trigger guard because it is steel and stronger, plus is less likely to spring open in the bush due to a different latch system. Forcing five rounds in a standard Remington aluminum floorplate is a good way to bend it or cause it to pop open.

The Remington Custom Shop uses steel parts, but they will not sell any as I have asked, then cried, then wheedled, and then begged a number of years ago. Brownells now has some steel replacement parts, but they are not a true drop-in but require a degree of inletting and are pretty expensive.

A number of tactical riflesmiths do this modification to Remington Police and Varmint rifles. I know Iron Brigade Armory does it (http://www.ironbrigadearmory.com )Hope this helps.

Ruger M77 (not MkII) owners used to be able to get a replacement steel floorplate and triggerguard as used on the magnums. It came in a blister pack like the magazines and sight blades, etc. I have a long action steel floorplate, but could not find the guard. I bought them for cheap for the Ruger M77 I never bought. I do not think Ruger still still offers them, but a call to the factory would tell.

[This message has been edited by 700PSS Shooter (edited May 21, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by 700PSS Shooter (edited May 21, 2000).]

Back