Need help on a remington 700 issue

BuckWheat

I have a remington 700 BDL in .308. I'm trying to determine if it is normal for the 5th round to be VERY difficult to get into the magazine. Also, when I try to chamber the 1st round (out of 5), it is very difficult to get the bolt to move forward and seat the round. I'm guessing it has to do with the round being so tightly held in the magazine. The question is: Is this normal? Should it be this difficult to get the 5th round into the magazine? Thanks for any input.

I think I have the solution to your problem. The Remington 700 BDL in .308 has a FOUR round magazine, I think this would explain why the fifth round in the mag causes problems.
wink.gif

------------------
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war.

I agree, 4 in the mag + 1 up the pipe. 5 round capacity can sound a little misleading...

You have to push the 4th round down in order to slide the bolt forward, otherwise you'll double feed.

[This message has been edited by jcoyoung (edited April 23, 2000).]

OK. Just to show you guys that I can laugh at myself. HA! I immediately dug up my "owners manual" (go figure) and saw that, indeed, it holds 4 rounds. DUH! Thanks for the feedback. This is what happens when a shooter of Military rifles goes out and buys a bolt action for the first time.

Some folks will grind or file down the "legs" on the follower. This allows it to sit lower in the mag well, and possibly allow another round. Just a thought. I haven't tried it and I won't do it.

Back