Need help on a Beretta Cheetah

the45er

I am selling a few pistols for a friend of mine and am trying to figure out whether this particular Cheetah has any particular uniqueness to it that may enhance value. My brief research shows values all over the place but can't find the particular Beretta 85 FS Cheetah with the "Cal 9 Short" stamping for the caliber.

Thanks for any help you might offer.

Attachments

• Cheetah.JPG
    Cheetah.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 145
All Beretta 85 FS Cheetahs were chambered in Cal 9 Short--also known as .380ACP, 9x17mm, 9mm Kurz, 9mm Browning, and .380 Auto.

I have seen at least one collectible 85 Cheetah, but it was very obvious it was collectible. It was done in highly polished black chrome with gold highlights and Pietro Beretta's signature in gold.

I'm not a collector, but the picture looks to me like a standard model 85.

Lucky Gunner did a video on these pistols (.22, .32. 380) a while ago. You could search for it on that youtube page. He was very fond of them

Many have recently been batch imported from Israel, where they were used by a variety of police and security departments, I think.

The photo looks like it's in decent shape, but I'd look at the old reliable, sold pieces on Gunbroker or the like websites, for values. I'd guess between 3-400, unless it's unusually nice or junky.

Just for clarification, while there was more than one model of Cheetah pistol (Models 81-89) chambered in .22LR, .32ACP and .380ACP, all of the Model 85 pistols were chambered in .380ACP like the one in the picture.

Being a Beretta and Berettas being from Italy, I'm surprised that it's marked "Cal 9 Short" and not "Cal 9 Corto," which is the Italian nomenclature for the .380 ACP.

You can find a lot of information on the Beretta site to start your research
https://berettausa.custhelp.com/app/answers/list
My Cheetah’s a 1983 vintage 81BB that I believe was a police trade in. Well made solid pistol at a great price makes it a good value but not very valuable. Not many other high capacity 32 out there that I know of.
eDqcgXCl.jpg

Pictured is a regular 85fs, the single stack 8 round model in Beretta's Bruniton finish. There will be a two letter date code with the proof marks. These pistols usually run in the $350 to $400 range. Maybe a little more for wood grips. All depends, of course, on condition, accessories, magazine count, etc.

Nothing unusual about this one, but I would definitely check out gunbroker for recent "completed auctions" to see recent selling prices -- it's probably higher than most people assume.

I know because I bought some of the 81 surplus imports that came in a couple years ago -- it was a great deal, at the time. So just recently, I noted that RGUNS was still posting surplus model 81's and 82's to gunbroker, and I was thinking of taking a shot somewhere around the $300 level. HA! No such luck. That ship has apparently sailed -- even the pretty dinged-up ones went for over $500, and nice-looking ones (still surplus pistols we're talking about) currently have bids north of $750.

Looks like commercial 85's go for at least as much. It's easy to see completed auctions well north of $1k when condition approaches LNIB.

It's an interesting phenomenon to watch. In a world filled with perfectly serviceable plastic pistols, craftsmanship commands a premium, even if it's a 30 years old used .32acp that sold for less than $300 on the surplus market, not long ago.

Back