Need help knowing what choke tubes to buy for Baker mod

Clark

attachment.php

I bought a 1965 Browning A5 3" mag 12 ga at a gun show from an old machinist that said the choke tube mod was by Stan Baker.

The threads measure 32 TPI.

I have a lathe if I need to make tubes, but I would rather buy them.

link below same as pic above.

Attachments

• Choke on 1965 A5 9-25-2014.jpg
    Choke on 1965 A5 9-25-2014.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 49
That looks like a first generation WinChoke tube. I know Stan did a lot of conversions using those, and then later he made (or had made) his own tubes. I know if you send it to Briley they can match it. They will not trust you to measure it most likely; they've been burned too many times. Call them.
www.briley.com
I miss Stan. He was a good guy.

Thanks for the response.

I was in Stan's shop and he walked to the back and worked on a lathe while I dealt with his employee to buy a gun.

He and Ralph Walker and I did a lot of experimenting with over bored barrel and custom choke tubes in 10 and 12 gauge. Learned a whole lot both from shooting them and talking to both of those guys.

Virginian,
I got another response, in email.

Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2014 3:30 PM
To: customerservice@choketube.com
Subject: What choke tubes should I buy?

I have a 1965 Browning A5 modified by Stan Baker.
It has 32TPI threads.
What would fit it?

Scott Carlson <scott@choketube.com>

Clark:
Looks like a Winchester/Browning Invector System or the Win-choke, these are all the same. You might try one of our extended chokes and see if it will work.
Please let me know if you have any further questions or I can be of help.

Scott
CARLSON’S CHOKE TUBES
785-626-3700
www.choketube.com

I ordered this one base on your post, but Scott seems to be consistent:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/27...inchester-win-choke-12-gauge-660-constriction

Gads ! I assume you're going turkey hunting.
I have had several Carlson's and Trulock tubes and have nothing bad to say about them. Had two Trulock extended tubes on a SxS that shot great patterns with non toxic stuff. I have also heard they do good installations, but the only two I will personally vouch for are Briley and Mike Orlen, because they are the only two left that I have used.

I may ream it out a little.
I shot a sage hen [the size of a 747] in 2011, the last bird I shot, and that was with a borrowed shotgun that did not shoot straight.

I think this year I might get to shoot a sharp tailed grouse or a pheasant.

Back