Need help Id'ing Double barrel front load shotgun

Evetsegap

Inactive
I inherited a shotgun which I'd like to have help identifying and possibly putting a value on.

It is a double barrel muzzle loader that has Damas Anglais etched in gold on the rib between the barrels.

Besides the numbers there is an oval that has
E
L G

The pictures describe it better than I'm able to.

Thanks.

DSCN2883.jpg

DSCN2880.jpg

DSCN2886.jpg

DSCN2882.jpg

Most likely made for the European hunting trade (sling swivels installed), you have a Belgian-made (ELG) wallhanger - due to the visible rust creeping out from between the damascus/twist barrels at the connecting ribs, and the surface rust pitting.

If it's shot, even with low-powered BP loads, there's an excellent chance of severe physical harm to the shooter, when a hidden weak spot in the damascus fails.

If that much rust is visible, you can rest assured quite a bit more isn't (like interwoven/hidden within the twisted iron of the barrel material).

I respectfully advise that you permanently plug the ignition holes, unseen under the nipples - so that some innocent won't harm themselves or another in your absence.

Damas Anglais means "English Damascus" or "English Twist" an effort by the Belgian maker to trade on the high quality of English Damascus barrels. The gun appears to be of good quality, though, and likely dates to about 1845.

I hesitate to try and evaluate it, but it might bring a few hundred from the right buyer.

I second PetahW's excellent advice not to fire it or sell it to anyone who plans to.

Jim

Thanks

Thanks for your help guys.

Sounds like it's just a good gun to look at, as you said.

I appreciate your time and help.

God Bless

Back