Need Help Identifying This S&w M-17

MR.G

I need some help in identifying this S&W model 17-6. It is nickel with 6" barrel, target hammer, sights, trigger, and grips. The unusual thing about this gun is that it has been engraved "THE REVOLVER" on the barrel, " NUMBER 115 OF 500" on the side plate, and the scene of a hunter with dog on the side plate. Has anyone seen another one like this ? I wonder if there are 499 more of these out there, and if there are, who would have made them. Beautiful 90% + gun.
THANKS,
MR.G

It was part of a series that S&W put out called "The Twelve Revolvers."

The following is encapsulated from "The Standard Catalog of S&W" by Supica & Nahaus.

These were manufactured in 1990 for Ellet Brothers, sold by subscription, with a different gun each month.

Each was created based on a theme taken from early S&W advertising paintings, with the title engraved on each gun.

The series was never fully completed due to a business fracture between Ellet & S&W.

Yours was the June gun.

In order, "The Twelve Revolvers" were:

January - Model 29, 8 3/8" barrel, with a scene from "Hostiles."

February - Model 686, 6", scene from "With the Wolfhounds."

March - 629, 4", "Mountain Lion."

April - 66, 6", "Critical Moment."

May - 57, 6", "Last Cartridge."

June - Model 17, 6", "The Revolver."

July - Model 24, 6 1/2", "Through the Line."

August - Model 14, 8 3/8", "Last Stand."

September - Model 27, 7" (?, if not a typo, it would be a very uncommon barrel length), "Outnumbered."

October - Model 29, 7 1-2", "The Attack."

November - Model 25-5, 8 3/8", "The Horse Thief."

December - Model 19, nickel finish, 6", "Hands Off."

By themselves they command a small premium, no more, from what I've seen, than $50 or $100, depending on the series number.

THANK YOU MIKE !
IF YOU CAN'T GET AN ANSWER TO YOUR FIREARMS QUESTION ON TFL, THEN THERE PROBABLY IS NO ANSWER.
MR.G

Back