need help identifying this antique hand gun

buckthyshape

Inactive
il_570xN.784764479_me4b.jpg

il_570xN.785058836_5x70.jpg

il_570xN.785058846_r1ql.jpg

hi i really need help identifying this antique pistol, there are no marks or etchings of a serial number on the gun what so ever, the gun trigger is broken and the rest is made of solid brass and wood and that is all the information i have
any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

If it is a real firearm, it dates to a time when individual gunsmiths made individual guns for customers. There were no large companies with assembly lines, such as Kimber and Smith & Wesson. Every firearm was one of a kind.

I don't think you'll ever find out who made that piece.

I suspect it's a replica kit gun rather than a real antique
I agree, the screws holding the trigger guard look to be of recent manufacture.
The charging rod looks machined.
And the wear on the wood looks wrong.
But then again the photos are small and I ant no expert :confused:

Looks like a replica to me. The stock dimensions are off, clunky and crude. Not enough detail to examine the lock.

The pictures are too dark for any real assessment, but I agree that it appears to be a reproduction or dummy of some kind, maybe a "kit gun" or a decorator piece. To answer an unasked question, the value is nominal, maybe $20 or so as a novelty.

Jim

If you sold it, you should ship it. The sale price is not out of line, and you have an obligation to see the customer gets what he paid for. Now if you had said you sold it for ten grand, I might have different thoughts, but as it is, I would ship it and not worry about it.

Jim

You agreed to sell it (essentially you've entered into a binding contract) and NOW you're wondering if it's worth more than what you sold it for?

Your have your steps reversed.

Mike Irwin said:
You agreed to sell it (essentially you've entered into a binding contract) and NOW you're wondering if it's worth more than what you sold it for?

Your have your steps reversed.
I agree with Mike. The time to wonder about the value was before you offered it for sale. If you "sold" it, as you wrote, that means you entered into a contract. Trying to change your mind after you agreed to sell it for $xx is certainly morally wrong, and probably legally wrong as well.

The pistol in question was called a 'blind man's dueling pistol'.

Instead of ten paces they used five as the walking distance.

A rope was used for guidance and spectators usually hid behind the trees.

Deaf

Replica or not, more than $50 worth of work went into the gun. I'd say whoever got it for $50 got a great deal.

The amount of labor and material that goes into making something doesn't always equal its actual value.

Home renovations are a good example of that.

Mike, you may be right, but would you buy that gun for $50? I think I would. Especially if it really works - could be fun!

Replica or not, more than $50 worth of work went into the gun. I'd say whoever got it for $50 got a great deal.
It was likely made in India by someone who lives on $50 a year
It (if it really could be) wouldn't be safe to shoot

Back