**Need help identifying shotgun used in T2 movie**

magnum_force

Does anyone know what brand and model shotgun was used by Sara Conner in the Terminator 2 movie? It was shown at the end of the movie. I am not inquiring about the one Arnold used. Is this shotgun sold to civilians or is it LE/Military only.

It is basically a Remington LE version of the 870 with the factory folding stock.

Remington supposedly doesn;t sell them to the public but the distributors do so they can be bought by civilians.

You can also find the folding stocks and just make one out of any 870. I always liked the Remington stocks so I built up an 870 with one.

Anyone have specs on this LE 870? Where can you get a stock that folds downwards? Anyone seen pics online of this shotgun? Please post urls.

I know it's not your specific question, but I would like to add my own question as to what Arnie's shotgun was. I'd never seen a lever-action shotgun before. Looked to be pretty handy. Although maybe you'd need a terminator's arm to wield it properly. :) And of course you *have* to love the motorcycle scabbard!

Sure it was a 870?

I don't have a copy of T2 handy to double check, but from what I remember I'm pretty sure the shotgun Sara was using (in the steel mill, right?) was a SPAS-12, equipped with the top folding stock.

Magnum force,

I was going to post a pic of my 870 with the stock but I was having problems with photopoint. I hope it is working, it should be below this paragraph? There is no such thing as a bottom folding stock for shotguns. Top folding, side folding and collapsing are your only choices.

Here is my 870 express with Rem "humpback" folding stock and sidesaddle shell carrier:
View

Imperative,

The SG Arnie used was a modified Winchester 1887 lever action SG. It of course was shortend and had the lever modified so it could be cycled with one hand.

Noah1234,

It definatly was a 870 with the top folding stock. The one used in the movie was an older blued LE model because it had the slot cut wood forend. It had also been modified with some type of shell carrier mounted to the top of the folding stock.

[Edited by Intel6 on 03-08-2001 at 03:47 PM]

IIRC, there were holes in the folding stock for the shells, not a carrier on the top of it. I'll check tonight/tomorrow on the DVD, but right now i have to study.

Kharn

Intel6, you have a great looking shotgun. What brands are the accessories on your 870? Where can I buy those accessories? There are many different models of 870s, which one is your 870? Do you have a LE model?

Magnum_force,

I looked at the web site and saw T2 is listed there but
I will still have to disagree about the SPAS being used in that specific scene. I have no doubt one was used in the movie but for that specific scene, I know it was a folding stock 870. And I can tell you why. If you have never handled or fired a SPAS it is a very bulky/heavy shotgun with a very large forend that has a pumping mechanism that takes some effort to pump.

In the scene Linda Hamilton does the "one handed pump" thing to work the action. Not only would it be very hard to hold onto the forend one handed and support the weight of the weapon, it would take a tremendoud amount of effort to use the inertial weight of the shotgun to cycle the action one handed.

As far a my 870 in the pic. It started life as an 870 express which is the no frills version of the regular 870 wingmaster. I cut the barrel off at 18.5" and re-installed the bead sight. The forearm is compact rubber grip made by Pachmayer. The folding stock is a factory Remington folding stock which I affectionally call the "humpback." These come on their 870 police SG's and they come up for sale now and then. I have also added a Choat +2 magazine extension and a sidesaddle shell carrier to it.

Except for the sidesaddle you could get the very same thing by buying a Remington folding stock version of thier 870 Police. It already has the stock, short barrel and mag extension.

I watched VERY closely. Definietly a Remington 870 police with factory folding stock. Here's what I noted. It has two Uncle Mike's elastic Buttstock Carriers attached to the stock so that, when folded, they lay on top of the stock. The total of 10 shots is clearly seen in one shot as is the fact that the webbing goes around the stock. There are no 'holes' that go through the stock even though this is what I assumed the first time I watched the movie. Neat trick.

Interesting sidenote here. The Sarrah Conner character fires at the T1000 (disguised as Sarrah Conner) in the last scene. The person firing from behind is actually Linda Hamilton's Identical Twin Sister. The T1000 in this scene is actually Linda Hamilton (because she is in the foreground). In a movie full of camera and computer tricks, the oldest trick in the book -- the split screen -- is discarded in favor of CLONES!!! Got this from an interview Hamilton did on Reigis and Cathy Lee. Man, I didn't know she had a Twin Sister. That Doubles my fantasy! ;)

Thanks for answering my question. I really appreciate it. Can civilians buy a Remington 870 police or do you have to be LE to buy one? How much do they sell for?

There is nothing special about the police model. You can add the stock to it. I much prefer the Choate top-folding stock which is still legal to buy. It feels much more solid and won't pinch you like the Remington does. Add this to an 870 Express or an old wingmaster and an extended magazine and you are set. I, personally, don't like folding stocks as I prefer to have a shotgun with a full stock. The only advantage it has is where storage in a car, boat, or automobile will be your primary use for the gun. Always use a shotgun from the shoulder if you have the opportunity.

I'm interested in buying a brand new 870 police shotgun. Can a civilian buy a new 870 police shotgun? Do you have to pay an ATF tax?

870 police guns are nothing more than parkerized and plain-wood versions of their wingmaster. The only reason you'd have to pay a tax were if the gun were under 18" in barrel length. In this case, it is considered a Short Barrel Shotgun or an AOW, not sure but I think it depends on how short you cut it. You need a form 4 to do this but I think you might be able to get BATF approval to have a gun you already have cut shorter. When I move back to a Class III state I've got an Ithaca 37 itching for a 14" chop job.

I forget the model number, but the shotgun used by arnold was made by winchester in the early days. The one in the movie had its barrel cut down, Winchester only made so many and it's such a rarity that I've been told that starting price is in the 1700s. Winchester just came out with a new lever action in .410 though, oughta be fun!

Back