Need help identifying rifle

DBO

Inactive
Grandfather father left the Family a bolt action rifle. He was a WWII vet and the story goes that he brought it back from the war, but cannot confirm. We are looking for help identifying the rifle and want to know what caliber it shoots.

Attachments

• imagejpeg950.jpg
    imagejpeg950.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 165
  • Resized_20200102_193717.jpg
    Resized_20200102_193717.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 147
  • Resized_20200102_193728.jpg
    Resized_20200102_193728.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 138
Other photos...

Attachments

• imagejpeg951.jpg
    imagejpeg951.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 130
  • imagejpeg952.jpg
    imagejpeg952.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 112
It looks like you have a Japanese Arisaka. Someone will be along shortly to let you know exactly the model you have, and the cartridge will either be 6.5 x 50 jap, or 7.7 Jap, or maybe an Italian version?

You need to verify if it is a training rifle or a real rifle- take the bolt out and see if it has two locking lugs on the front. A training rifle will not have the lugs and is unsafe to shoot!
here's a quick video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6LwsYXwcKg

Was he in the Pacific Theater of Operations?
Rifle is a Japanese Type I made in Italy.
It has a Carcano action but a Mauser/Arisaka type magazine.
Caliber is 6.5x50 Arisaka.

that is a very nice condition (possibly refinished stock) Type I rifle, sometimes called the type I arisaka.

long story short, the Japanese army was calling first dibs on all the rifles being made in Japan so the Japanese navy ordered a bunch of rifles from Italy that could shoot the 6.5x50mm ammo they had on hand and was as close as possible to the rifles they already had from the first world war. the finished product was a rifle with the action of a carcano, but the stock, magazine and chambering of a type 38 Arisaka (more or less).

Great history ... sort of like mutt of rifles, kinda fits the Family well. Anyone know value, just curious, cause it's PRICELESS to us.

value is dependant on a lot of factors. there's no Mum stamp on the receiver but I don't remember off the top of my head if the type I ever had them. that would increase value a lot. if it's in working condition then that improves value a lot. as I stated it looks very clean, way cleaner than a service rifle should be, so it's possible that the stock was stripped and stained, though that blonde/red color would have been the color of religious linseed oiling on a regular basis. if everything is in fact original and it is shootable, I would value in the $700-ish range. otherwise somewhere in the $400 range is normal going price.

Site I linked says the Type I has no Japanese markings. No mum.
Also says that after the Japanese got them, they did not use them much.
Nice condition is fairly common.

The stock has been stripped of it's finish . The receiver has a lot of missing blue . They never had a mum , so having one would decrease the value . It is in very rough shape for a Type I , so it is going to be on the low end of value for the type .

Back