Need help identifying an old BP Pistol replica

a34

Hey Guys,

I picked up this pistol a few years ago and don't know much about it. I would appreciate help in identifying it, and confirming what I think it is.

Here what I think I know: .31 caliber, It says Replica Arms company, Marietta Ohio on the side, and I believe I can make out s. Marco on that same side just under the front of the cylinder. No other writing, just proofing marks.

My questions are:

1) Is this a replica of a real pistol, or one of the made up calibers/sizes? Is .31 caliber right?
2) Are they are safe/reliable pistol to shoot?
3) What is current market value? I don't want to sell, but would like to know out of curiosity. I got it a few years ago and paid around $75 for it, plus replacing some internal parts, puts me around $100 in it. It does have some knicks and bruises.
4) Italian made?

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• 31 caliber black powder pistol (1) resize.jpg
    31 caliber black powder pistol (1) resize.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 31 caliber black powder pistol (5) resize.jpg
    31 caliber black powder pistol (5) resize.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 31 caliber black powder pistol (7) resize.jpg
    31 caliber black powder pistol (7) resize.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 77
barrel pic

Attachments

• 31 caliber black powder pistol resize.jpg
    31 caliber black powder pistol resize.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 31 caliber black powder pistol (4).jpg
    31 caliber black powder pistol (4).jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 61
I'm pretty sure that's a 1848 baby dragoon, and yes that is an authentic caliber and replica of the 1800's revolver.
If it say's Marco on one side, then it must be a Armi San Marco's reproduction, Italian made.
I would say it's safe to shoot, but it depends on the condition of the gun.
If it's not to much trouble, could you take a close up picture of the writing on the barrel?

a34

FYI the barrel spring is a small flat spring about 1/8 inch in width. It is fixed to the top of the wedge and is supposed to hold the wedge, when it is pulled back. Maybe you already knew that. Just trying to help. I think I see it though.

It would be nice to see all the markings. And it would help greatly if you could rub something white like chalk into them before taking the photos.

Don't forget the cylinder markings that are different. There may be some on the bottom of the grip frame also.

Any markings on the box or accessories? Photos of them?

Last edited:
You might Google Replica Arms for their history, an importer not a manufacturer. My first c&b pistol was a Replica Arms.
The marking I see are the date code (XXIV) and Italian proof marks, there should be a builders mark some where.
Many of those nice looking brass molds throw a undersized ball/bullet.

It is an Italian made replica of the Colt 1848 Baby Dragoon that was made by Armi San Marco in 1968 and imported by Replica Arms. It is historically correct. 12 grains of FFFG black powder, .31 cal wonder wad and a .321 round ball would be an appropriate load for it. I see nothing in the pictures that would indicate it was unsafe to fire; however, an inspection from someone that knows percussion revolvers would be in order.

Back