NEED HELP Identifying a Rifle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Olson

I was asked to try to ID this old rifle, but neither myself, nor anyone in the gun biz here locally has a clue...

It's supposedly a Finnish gun, supposed to be at least 40 years old. Manlicher-style stock. Has a rod, under the barrel, that fits into a depression in the underside of the forearm. I runs parallel to the barrel, and screws in. About 18" of this rod is visible.

Front sight looks like a "W", and the rear one has an elevation-compensating slide. Looks like it has a bayoney mount under the barrel. The magazine opens from the bottom like modern hunting rifles, and looks like it loads from the top.

Markings:

Letters "SK.Y", an "S" (with a "crown" on its top) inside a gear-looking symbol, "SA", "BG-S-00" (the "S" is inside a circle), "1940", "S8988", all on the top, at the receiver.

On the stock near the butt, another "S" with a "crown" on it is inside a crest-like outline. the number "40" is again just below this crest. Appears burned into the stock.
Any info as to the maker, age, and ESPECIALLY CALIBRE would be HIGHLY appreciated.

Thanks!

Two suggestions:

Send us a picture of the rifle. If you need to, borrow a digital camera or scan a polariod picture and post it.

Second: try the "Smithy" section of TFL and see what the folks there say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back