Need help identifying 2 BP rifles

jal5

I inherited these 2 bp rifles: one a Kentucky long rifle type with round barrel marked made in Belgium, the other a octagonal barrelled percussion cap type I think with the barrel marked as SPAIN, JUKAR black powder only. My uncle made these from kits in the early 80's and was very precise n cabinet, grandfather clock, desk making. Any ideas for identification would be helpful. I plan to either take them to a gunsmith or a friend who is very knowledgable about bp rifles to verify if they are in shootable condition. To my knowledge he never shot either of them just displayed them. I will post pictures later to help id them. Thanks.

remove the barrel and unscrew the breech plug, and the touch hole liner if there is one, inspect the fit of these to parts to there mating threads (must be very close and tight) and if its good shoot it.

[My uncle made these from kits in the early 80's]
[Any ideas for identification would be helpful.
]

AFAIK, you're not going to be able to "ID" either of those kit guns.

Between the late-60's through the mid-80's, there were several discount import sources of blackpowder rifle & handgun "kits", and also just plain different parts available.

The "parts', like barrels, locks, etc, weren't all made by one source, and were almost always inexpensive imports made by various suppliers from Spain or Belgium - unless the home rifle builder was flush, and could afford the higher quality locks (like Siler's) from dedicated suppliers like Pettaconica (sp?) River, etc.

Today, Dixie Gun Works supplies parts to make a muzzleloader, on pretty much the same theme/idea.

some pics

here are a few pics of these rifles.

Attachments

• DSCN2390 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN2390 (Medium).JPG
    63 KB · Views: 65
  • longrifles (Medium).JPG
    longrifles (Medium).JPG
    48 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCN2389 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN2389 (Medium).JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 46
Easy. They are __________ rifles. (Fill in the name of your uncle.)

He made the rifles, the origin of the kits probably can never be known, but the maker of the kits made kits; your uncle made the rifles.

Jim

Jim I think that is the best reply of them all!

My gunsmith should be able to evaluate the condition and tell me if they are safe to shoot so that is all I am really concerned about.

Will give a range report once I get that far with this project.

joe

Well I learned that the longer rifle is an African Trade Musket, smoothbore and a member on GBO has the exact same gun. I also found on the lock, the part that holds the flint, the initials= GT or CT, not sure what that means yet.
Any ideas?

Also any descriptions anyone can give me for takedown procedures to clean the barrel and lock would be appreciated. Barrel looks like it had a good coating of grease at one time, some small surface rusting on the outside.

Rough estimage of the bore using my digital caliper= .537-.545 so I guess I will have to slug it for an accurate bore size.

Joe

Back