need help i.d.'ing Brevet Nagant pistol

i have found several websites that show the different models of these..
but i cant find the one with the markings my pistol has..:confused:
it has a M and a P overlayed on the M and a P with a small star above it...
any help would be appreciated..

"Brevet Nagant" is French for "Nagant patent", so it may be an actual Nagant revolver, a licenced copy, or maybe even just an unlicenced copy that someone wanted to pass off. Either way, I think you'll need to post pictures to get any definite info.

heres some pictures..
i also found a couple other markings...
there is an I with a star above it..
and i think it was a D with a crown above it..

Attachments

• 100_0868.jpg
    100_0868.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 375
  • 100_0869.jpg
    100_0869.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 242
  • 100_0870.jpg
    100_0870.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 198
It's definitely a Belgian-made Nagant revolver, closely resembling the M1878 military model, but with the barrel and foresight cut off, and missing the lanyard loop at the butt. These were made in several calibres and for a number of different countries (Belgium, Sweden, Luxembourg, etc.), but most of the military models were marked pretty clearly with the country that they were to be sold to. The ejector rod on this one looks like that on the versions made for Sweden (before they started making them for themselves), which might be a clue; Sweden used these in 7.5mm Nagant, which had about a .30" bullet and a case .885" long, with a rim that measured about .41". If you can get some accurate measurements of the chamber dimensions, it might help to narrow it down some more.

Last edited:
thanks SDC..
ill have measurements in a day or two...
its actually my dads pistol.. the guy he got it off of said it was an old russian officers gun..
but i tried to identify it and i couldnt figure out which country it was from...
does anybody know what that MP is for??

Back