Need help from the experts....

bmcgill930

Inactive
I am currently in the process of divesting my WWII German collection. In my collection I have a Luger 1937 S/42. The Lugar has all matching numbers except the magazines. The holster is in great condition with visible stamp marks. The take-down tool is also matched to the weapon.

This Lugar is from a captured soldier. I have the original US Army Certificate authorizing the soldier took keep the weapon and Certificate of Retention and Customs Declaration to bring it back to the US. Dated August/September 1945.

Now the bad news according to some...the GI chromed the weapon when he returned home. Now I know that this takes it from a collector to a shooter quality, however, I hope the original paperwork showing it was captured and authorized to keep as a war trophy would add value back as a historic relic.

With all that said...what do you think I may be able to sell the Lugar package for...I hear all the time the price range for a chromed weapon is between $500 - 700...what about all in with papers and holster?

Thanks...

PM me if you are looking for any other WWII German articles I may have...

Brian

You might be better off selling the holster separately. They were not numbered to the gun so there's no real "set".
As for the gun itself, you can have the chrome (likely nickel with a very thin chrome layer) removed and the gun professionally refinished. Some collectors will still bark at that, but other want a decent looking Luger at $1500 over an original decent Luger at $3000. The capture papers have minimal value, only important if your have some rare variant to prove authenticity.

Interesting...recommendations from anyone on where to have to Lugar re-blued?

Thanks...I do think the papers add value as well as a historical purpose and like Bill stated it does show the weapon and serial numbers associated with the weapon.

While the capture papers definitely add the provenance of the gun, having it chromed totally ruined it's collector value.

I don't think there would be any real gain in having it stripped and refinished because no matter what you do at this point, it will always have 0% original finish.

To do it right, you really can't go to just any place that can blue guns. Most likely when it was chromed it was buffed and polished and the sharp edges that are characteristic of an original gun are now smoothed and rounded.

To have it brought back to an approximation of the as-manufactured look is a job that takes skill and a fair amount of hand work. To have it done right is not an inexpensive job, and quite frankly, I don't see you even breaking even if you do elect to have it refinished.

Sometimes you just have to cut your losses and move on.

I would strip and reblue the piece. Sell pistol, mags, and tool as a group with holster and papers for $1500 firm. Pre-war fit and workmanship is desireable, even if reblued.

In 20 years, a matching reblue is going to worth what an original is today. The Luger is an iconic pistol and supply is limited, and high demand. Go to any gun show and see the Lugers disappear when condition and price match.

so im new to the world of firearms lately ive been running into Winchester 94's i just baught one from 1906 going by the online lookup . but ..but my question is the barrel was replaced and so was the receiver tube well cut down :mad:when they replaced barrel the used...yes a pipe wrench the rifling is really good but as nyone know how to remove the marks they're deep i saw something about peening them and then filling ..wondering if its possible im a metal guy ...anyone have before after pictures

The cost of stripping and blueing would be close to or more than the gain in value. I disagree with some of the others about the set. It does add value. Your pistol has a documented story. Sell the story with the pistol. I think your best bet is a gunbroker or other auction site sale where your set will get the most exposure. If the chrome is pristine and the gun functions I think your current value is around $2k. If you split things up you would likely lose a few $$. Gun and mags $1100 ish, holster $300 ish. I bought a matching reblue with a new barrel for $1300. It tool me several months and lost auctions to get it at that price.

Back