Need help fixing blistered rifle stock. SOS

rms65

I was steaming out dents in a beechwood stock and apparently the steam was too hot and blistered the finish. I don't know how to fix it. I'd rather not refinish the entire stock if at all possible. Any help would be greatly appreciate.

Attachments

• 20190820_135254_compress36.jpg
    20190820_135254_compress36.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 20190820_135337_compress42.jpg
    20190820_135337_compress42.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Unfortunately, you've learned the second reason stocks are stripped before steaming them. The first reason is that if the finish withstands the steaming, its waterproof nature interferes with the dented wood fibers being able to absorb the steam and swell up, which is what takes the dents out. An old BLO finish will also pick up permanent watermarks from steaming. So, once you've decided to steam, you've simultaneously committed to refinishing at least the area the steam is being applied to.

Methinks UncleNick is right.
I'm sure he's right to a degree. I've steamed dents on finished stocks from this manufacturer before. I'm sure it works much better his way but since I screwed up this one, what I really need is help fixing it.

Smooth out the bubbly raised area with a pad of 400 or 600 grit wet r dry paper and a little linseed oil . Do not cut down into the wood or the stained surface ...just remove the roughed up blistered finish , try and remove as little as possible . Simply make it smooth .
Tru-Oil Gun Stock finish , rub a super thin film with finger tips and palm into area finish was removed, blend new finish into old . Let dry completely and repeat until the new surface has built up to match the old .
Let dry completely and use a pad 0000 steel wool dampened with linseed oil to polish out the entire stock finish so it will all blend and match .
No need to completely strip the old finish , the repair will look good .
Be sure to let each coat dry completely before adding another or sanding.
I sometimes let each coat dry for a week or two depending on the Louisiana high humidity ...stuff takes a long time to dry completely.
Gary

A light touch with 0000 steel wool will fix that with no fuss. Any sand paper will leave scratches.
Oh and steam doesn't get too hot. It's gets left on the wood for too long though.

There is always more than one way

rms65
I recently started using a product that I have used on applications similar to yours. I've only used it on a couple of projects with surprising results. Rather than go into great detail, I will list the product and ordering information. Call these folks and describe you situation. Good chance that it might be the answer to your problem. Good luck and kindly let us know if it worked out for you.

Miracle Products
P.O. box 44
Milton WI. 53563
1-800-215-2644

https://www.bobsmiracleproducts.com/
Good luck and;

Be Safe !!!

Thanks. I will try just the steel wool first. That was my initial inclination but used with a rubbing of paste wax or Tru oil. I have another similar stock with light standing marks and a couple of deeper scratches that I will try this on too. Thanks for the tip

I steel wooled the blisters off and I guess some of the finish or stain came off because its pale where the blisters were. I rubbed some Tru oil on it hoping it would deepen the color to match the surrounding area. There was little improvement. So now I have smooth stock but it's discolored. Should I steel wool the area again and try some sort of stain? This is What it currently looks like.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20190826_211331_compress39.jpg
    20190826_211331_compress39.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 33
Back