Need help fixing a "gunsmith's" damage..

RCH

I had a local gunsmith install a Wilson's beavertail grip safety to my stainless steel Para Ordnance P-13. Even though I had recomendations from the local gunshop and members at the gun club, the gunsmith seriously botched the job. He left grind marks on the frame, scratches on the side, and feebly polished the area (the frame is a matte finish). The fitting of the safety also was poor- there is a nice gap between the frame and safety. When I questioned him, he claimed that the grind marks where factory blemishes. Since his incompetence was obvious, I promptly removed my P-13 from his clumsy fingers. Upon inspecting the gun at home, I also noticed that he installed the Wolfe's recoil spring backwards and left 5-7 wonderful scratches on the one piece guide rod. Dam-it!

I hope someone will take pity on me and help me restore this once fine pistol. Does anyone know of a reputable gunsmith who knows how to repair and refinish the frame?

RCH, are you in southern California? Over the past couple of years I've heard from several people complaining about the same thing. I install a few dozen b'tails a year and there just is no reason for grind marks to show at all. Drop me an e-mail. I'd be happy to do this for you. George

George,
How do you eliminate the gap on beavertail if it was fitted improperly?

I fitted mine by hand without a jig and there is a small gap at the bottom of the grip "tangs".

Considering this pistol has been a learning piece more than anything else I'm not consered how it looks, however if it's easy to fix, I like it.

Gator

[This message has been edited by swampgator (edited January 31, 2000).]

I had a 1911 (Colt Delta) sent to me for the same malady (Incompetence). I welded up the tang and recut and profiled the frame for the beavertail. It's quite a process.

------------------
Kurt V. Wala
Kurt's Kustom Firearms
www.kurtkustom.qpg.com/

I figured I'd have to have it welded, kinda seems a whole of trouble for a minor, cosmetic flaw. Plus the pistol has been my "learning" piece, and I will probably never sell it. Thanks for the info.

Gator

------------------
Root Hog or Die Poor

Back