need help figuring out what this nagant is.

medford

Inactive
i am relying on everyones help to figure out what this hex 91/30 nagant is i have never seen these markings on a nagant before. thanks ahead of time for your input.

Attachments

• hex 91-30 mosin nagant.jpg
    hex 91-30 mosin nagant.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 180
Short answer: Tula Arsenal.

The text translates to something like:

"First weapons factories of the USSR in Tula 1928г" the "г" is often mistakenly transliterated as "r" (it actually makes the "g" sound) stands for "год" which simply means "year."

so that means what in reference to this nagant? i am trying to learn more about the gun so translating the cyrlic is helpfull but what does that tell me about the gun.

Because Tula was the first OFFICIAL Russian armoury (founded in 1712 by Peter the Great) the factory took great pride in letting everyone know that, at least up until the Soviets insisted that everyone change over to a uniform style of marking. 7.62x54R.net says that happened the same year that your rifle was made, so it was one of the last ones marked that way.

so that means what in reference to this nagant? i am trying to learn more about the gun so translating the cyrlic is helpfull but what does that tell me about the gun.

Just means your rifle was made at the Tula Arsenal in 1928. The vast majority of Mosin Nagant rifles were made between the Tula and Izhevsk arsenals, but as has been pointed out, in subsequent years the markings for the Tula arsenal changed from what's on your rifle to a much simpler star with an arrow logo and basically none of the text except from the serial number and year of manufacture. This means your rifle is a bit rarer than most 91/30's.

Odd , lots of stuff I written into it. Does all the serial numbers match? .... wonder how come they did that.

Also should add that rectangular symbol right below the year indicates the rifle has been arsenal refurbished at some point.

That's a proof mark to the upper left.

If you didn't know, the Soviets were engaged in a war with muslims in Central Asia in 1927-1930, so arsenal production was stepped up a bit. The Bolo Mauser pistol was a favorite weapon of the Russian pilots, their aircraft frequently malfunctioned, putting the pilots on the ground in the middle of hostile tribes.

Back