Need help deciding on either - S&W M&P 9mm Pro or Glock 34 for USPSA/IDPA

j28s

I've narrowed my soon to be production gun down to either a S&W M&P 9mm Pro or a Glock 34. I've handled the Glock 34 several times but can't find a S&W Pro model. With additional trigger work aside, anyone have either (a) first hand experience with both and/or (b) how well each are doing compared to one another in competition. I really like a ligther trigger pull weight (~ 4lbs) and length (shorter the better). Accuracy the same? Thanks in advance.

I have a "pre-Pro" a standard Plastic M&P with Burwell trigger job and fibre optic sights. It is a good IDPA SSP for me; I prefer its grip angle to Glock's because of my long experience with 1911 etc.

But I think the Glock can be taken farther on the light short trigger pull front at least right now. My PM&P is very good but I have handled and shot some 1.5 lb Glocks that are ahead of it. Not that I want or need a 1.5 lb pistol trigger. If 4 lbs is light enough for you, it is pretty much a wash. I would not trade my 3.5 lb PM&P for a Glock

My son shoots a 9MM M&P in IDPA and he loves it. He regularly beats me in the matches as well. All us old 45 shooting farts tell him that he is shooting a lady's round. He just laughs as he kicks our butts.

RMD

Jim, thanks for the info, it's what I was looking to hear. I wish either gun had the trigger pull length and weight like my 1911 (Kimber Grand Raptor). I'm leaning toward the M&P Pro, but just not quite sure...

I prefer the Glock 34. Grip angle works better for me, and I actually like the Glock trigger. Spare parts are cheap, and I can work on it myself. The M&P's have some cool features, but they just don't do it for me. I use my 34 for SSP and production.

My son and I both purchased the M&P9 Pro Series just for IDPA. I highly recommend that you take a look at one before making your purchase.

Here is what Massad Ayoob had to say about the M&P9 Pro Series. In case you don't read it. He actually beat his all-time personal best score with the M&P the first time he shot with it.

http://www.gunsmagazine.com/Features/0908/Ftr0908.html

I also recommend the Comp-Tac paddle holster. Gordon Carrell of Team Smith & Wesson, who uses this holster, gave me this recommendation and I have to agree with him... It's a great competition holster for under $60.00.

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=53

Hey guys, thanks for the information. I was able to shoot a G34 and MP Pro 9yesterday and decided on the MP Pro 9. Granted the MP Pro 9 had a nice 2.5lb trigger job on it, but it did fit my hand better. I think if the G34 also had a trigger job it would have been a flip of a coin to decide between the two. Both are good guns and I think it's just a preference between the two. Thanks again!

Back