Need HELP deciding between 3 shotguns

Btk253

Inactive
Hey everyone, 

I am looking for my ideal self/home-defense shotgun within my budget. I would appreciate your help and support in deceiding on the best one, based on your experience, knowledge, or second-hand experience. 

I have narrowed the options down to three guns:

1. Mossberg 500 ATI
2. Mossberg 590A1‐(not sure which variant, suggestions?)
3. Keltec KS7

So of these three, is there an obvious winner? Does it come down to personal preference? Any and all info about all 3 guns (pros and cons) would be most appreciated!

Thanks,

Brian K

Last edited:
Pump guns tend to be 100% reliable vs a semi-auto that can be ammo particular. Use #2 shot though. 5 is too small.
You can go with a Maverick Model 88 too. It and the M500 are identical.
If you go with the 'ATI', keep in mind that 6.75 pound shotguns with any 12 gauge ammo will be decidedly unpleasant to shoot. A 12 gauge using 2.75" ammo with 1 1/8 oz. shot, at 1200 FPS, out of a 7.5 pound shotgun, has 23.0 ft-lbs of recoil energy.
And you must practice regularly with the ammo you intend using.

Thank you all, I appreciate all the information greatly. So does no one have any opinions on the keltec ks7?

Mossberg 590 if you have the extra change for the extra bells and whistles. 500 if you just need a plain Jane. The 88 if you want to save a few bucks. Regarding the Maverick, while a Mossberg for all intent and purpose, it is a little lighter and hence has a slightly stiffer kick.

So does no one have any opinions on the keltec ks7

Like the looks of it, but never shot one, so no opinion.

I have several, Benelli Nova, Rem 870, Ithaca M37, FNH P12 and a few others. My favorite is the P12 and that is the one I have with slugs and a WML on it. It is expensive, but I really prefer the chrome lined barrel and rotating bolt. It's sister shotgun, the Winchester SXP is another option. Several of my LE friends have them, even though they hardly ever shoot them. Loaded with slugs for armor, engine blocks, etc.

Btk253 Really it is hard to beat the Mossberg 500 low cost and simple to use .
Most if not all home-defense shotguns sit in a corner for years until you need it .
No reason to spend a bunch of money and no one needs to see it just you and maybe the wife . When you buy one you will take it out and shoot it after that it will sit until you need it . As for ammo if you ever use it you will need a load that works up close . Most of the time 15 feet or less . Ever see what an 1.1/4 of #5 dose at 15 feet or less heavy shot like # 2 buck will having you will remodel and what a mess .

The Mossberg 500 is a decent hunting gun. The 590 is designed as a combat shotgun and addresses the shortcomings of the 500. They are built on similar platforms, but the 590 is beefed up and with several design upgrades to meet military contract purposes. If you're looking for a dual purpose gun to hunt with and then swap out a barrel and use it for HD the 500 is a good choice. Strictly for HD, the 590 by a wide margin.

The Kel-Tec I know nothing about.

My personal preference is the Remington 870 platform. I like it better as a hunting gun and it does just fine as a HD gun with nothing more than a barrel change. But strictly for HD the 590 is every bit as good as the 870.

Pump guns tend to be 100% reliable vs a semi-auto

That might have been true 75 years ago. Pump guns are more reliable in theory. But since they depend on human interaction they are less reliable in the real world. You'll see a lot more operator error failures with pumps than mechanical failures with modern semi-auto's.

That might have been true 75 years ago. Pump guns are more reliable in theory. But since they depend on human interaction they are less reliable in the real world. You'll see a lot more operator error failures with pumps than mechanical failures with modern semi-auto's.

This is true also in 3Gun. Probably the harshest use of shotguns on the planet.

If you can find one, I’d go for the 590A1 with the 18-1/2” barrel, ghost rings and Accuchoke system.

I don’t think they are in production right now, but I believe the model number was #50774.

Don't be afraid of a little more barrel length, a 20' barrel can add a little weight which goes a long way in reducing recoil. I was handling a new 590A1 just the other day and was impressed, not as smooth as an 870 but a fine gun none the less.

Last edited:

And yet, even today, is there ANY major police or military group that issues a semi auto shotgun? despite the possibility of failure due to operator error (short shucking being the most common) pumps RULE the "combat" market, and I doubt that will be changing any time soon.

I'm old school, my home defense shotgun(s) are two, one is a double barrel coach gun (for the wife ;)) and the other is a Winchester model 12 that someone cut the barrel short on, some half century or more ago. It's legal length, and since I grew up hunting with a Model 12, its perfect, FOR ME.

(also one of the older guns without the disconnector, which is kind of fun :D)

I don't have any experience with the Keltec, and have always preferred Rem 870 or Win model 12 to any of the Mossbergs.

Cruise the local shops that sell used guns. You could find a mechanically sound Rem or possibly even a Winchester with a trashed finish at a price match or maybe even lower than a new Mossberg or anything else.

If you want something "tacky-cool" get one of the newer guns set up for that. If you just need a decent shotgun, look at the used guns, you might find something good and solid, at a good price, one that could have the barrel shortened and still not be all that spendy.

Good luck.

Shotguns sound amazing for home defense. They have a big hole and the sound of the racked slide means business. I know several LEOs who have shared stories about walking down dark alleys yelling for suspects to come out of hiding and nothing happens. They then rack the slide on their shotgun and the suspect runs out. The truth is, if you’re planning to use it for HD, there had better be a shell in the tube already. Racking it in your house gives away your location and you may wind up dead as a result. Also tough to wield around tight corners. Unless there’s a plan to blow the hinges off doors in the event of a home invasion ( doubtful), something easier to manage with proper ammo is what I would recommend.

I went down the Moss 500 with tacticool stock and pistol grip, then whined about it blowing my shoulder off and being tough to disengage safety. I then changed the stock to standard and got rid of the pistol grip, put in a 590 trigger group and updated the safety to get away from the plastic parts. I added a pansy pad and though I had it in the bag. I took it to the range and a blew my shoulder off almost as bad as before! Disclaimer, I do have shoulder and rotator cuff issues and a couple of shots with the 500 and I was whimpering like a baby.

It was then sold at a total loss...

if going down the pump gun path, heavy is best. Something has to control the recoil. I’d say reconsider the HD weapon and buy a shotgun you can actually use for something.

Mossberg 500 has many aftermarket options and add-ons.

the maverick is the econo version and still a decent choice.

reduced recoil rounds in 00 buck means no hard kick even in light weight guns.

Back