Need help answering Q#4 on FLA CCW permit application

MyGunsJammed

I was wondering if someone can help me answer this question....

I'm applying for the FLA non-resident CCW permit and I'm stumped on question #4 on the application, it reads:

Do you qualify for exemption from the public records law as provided by section 119.071(4)(d), Florida Statutes? Yes or no????

If YES, do you wish to have the information kept confidential? Yes or no?

To me the way I understand the question its asking if I want my name not to be published on public record for the whole world to know I'm packing a gun?

if so I would then answer Yes to both questions right???

Please help..

The question is for those such as judges, holders of office, undercover law enforcement, district attorneys, etc. that have applied for, and have been granted, exception to laws that make their personal , but public, information researchable via public records such as their address by looking up their name as a property owner in the public records at a County Recorders office and so on.

It is a provision for people in an occupation or other position that makes them likely targets of those they deal with.

No, you are not exempt from public records laws unless you are:

(d)1. The home addresses, telephone numbers, social security numbers, and photographs of active or former law enforcement personnel, including correctional and correctional probation officers, personnel of the Department of Children and Family Services whose duties include the investigation of abuse, neglect, exploitation, fraud, theft, or other criminal activities, personnel of the Department of Health whose duties are to support the investigation of child abuse or neglect, and personnel of the Department of Revenue or local governments whose responsibilities include revenue collection and enforcement or child support enforcement; the home addresses, telephone numbers, social security numbers, photographs, and places of employment of the spouses and children of such personnel; and the names and locations of schools and day care facilities attended by the children of such personnel are exempt from s. 119.07(1). The home addresses, telephone numbers, and photographs of firefighters certified in compliance with s. 633.35; the home addresses, telephone numbers, photographs, and places of employment of the spouses and children of such firefighters; and the names and locations of schools and day care facilities attended by the children of such firefighters are exempt from s. 119.07(1). The home addresses and telephone numbers of justices of the Supreme Court, district court of appeal judges, circuit court judges, and county court judges; the home addresses, telephone numbers, and places of employment of the spouses and children of justices and judges; and the names and locations of schools and day care facilities attended by the children of justices and judges are exempt from s. 119.07(1). The home addresses, telephone numbers, social security numbers, and photographs of current or former state attorneys, assistant state attorneys, statewide prosecutors, or assistant statewide prosecutors; the home addresses, telephone numbers, social security numbers, photographs, and places of employment of the spouses and children of current or former state attorneys, assistant state attorneys, statewide prosecutors, or assistant statewide prosecutors; and the names and locations of schools and day care facilities attended by the children of current or former state attorneys, assistant state attorneys, statewide prosecutors, or assistant statewide prosecutors are exempt from s. 119.07(1) and s. 24(a), Art. I of the State Constitution.

2. The home addresses, telephone numbers, and photographs of current or former human resource, labor relations, or employee relations directors, assistant directors, managers, or assistant managers of any local government agency or water management district whose duties include hiring and firing employees, labor contract negotiation, administration, or other personnel-related duties; the names, home addresses, telephone numbers, and places of employment of the spouses and children of such personnel; and the names and locations of schools and day care facilities attended by the children of such personnel are exempt from s. 119.07(1) and s. 24(a), Art. I of the State Constitution.

3. The home addresses, telephone numbers, social security numbers, and photographs of current or former United States attorneys and assistant United States attorneys; the home addresses, telephone numbers, social security numbers, photographs, and places of employment of the spouses and children of current or former United States attorneys and assistant United States attorneys; and the names and locations of schools and day care facilities attended by the children of current or former United States attorneys and assistant United States attorneys are exempt from s. 119.07(1) and s. 24(a), Art. I of the State Constitution. This subparagraph is subject to the Open Government Sunset Review Act in accordance with s. 119.15 and shall stand repealed on October 2, 2009, unless reviewed and saved from repeal through reenactment by the Legislature.

4. The home addresses, telephone numbers, social security numbers, and photographs of current or former judges of United States Courts of Appeal, United States district judges, and United States magistrate judges; the home addresses, telephone numbers, social security numbers, photographs, and places of employment of the spouses and children of current or former judges of United States Courts of Appeal, United States district judges, and United States magistrate judges; and the names and locations of schools and day care facilities attended by the children of current or former judges of United States Courts of Appeal, United States district judges, and United States magistrate judges are exempt from s. 119.07(1) and s. 24(a), Art. I of the State Constitution. This subparagraph is subject to the Open Government Sunset Review Act in accordance with s. 119.15 and shall stand repealed on October 2, 2009, unless reviewed and saved from repeal through reenactment by the Legislature.

5. The home addresses, telephone numbers, and photographs of current or former code enforcement officers; the names, home addresses, telephone numbers, and places of employment of the spouses and children of such personnel; and the names and locations of schools and day care facilities attended by the children of such personnel are exempt from s. 119.07(1) and s. 24(a), Art. I of the State Constitution.

6. The home addresses, telephone numbers, places of employment, and photographs of current or former guardians ad litem, as defined in s. 39.820, and the names, home addresses, telephone numbers, and places of employment of the spouses and children of such persons, are exempt from s. 119.07(1) and s. 24(a), Art. I of the State Constitution, if the guardian ad litem provides a written statement that the guardian ad litem has made reasonable efforts to protect such information from being accessible through other means available to the public. This subparagraph is subject to the Open Government Sunset Review Act in accordance with s. 119.15 and shall stand repealed on October 2, 2010, unless reviewed and saved from repeal through reenactment by the Legislature.

7. The home addresses, telephone numbers, and photographs of current or former juvenile probation officers, juvenile probation supervisors, detention superintendents, assistant detention superintendents, senior juvenile detention officers, juvenile detention officer supervisors, juvenile detention officers, house parents I and II, house parent supervisors, group treatment leaders, group treatment leader supervisors, rehabilitation therapists, and social services counselors of the Department of Juvenile Justice; the names, home addresses, telephone numbers, and places of employment of spouses and children of such personnel; and the names and locations of schools and day care facilities attended by the children of such personnel are exempt from s. 119.07(1) and s. 24(a), Art. I of the State Constitution. This subparagraph is subject to the Open Government Sunset Review Act in accordance with s. 119.15 and shall stand repealed on October 2, 2011, unless reviewed and saved from repeal through reenactment by the Legislature.

8. An agency that is the custodian of the personal information specified in subparagraph 1., subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., subparagraph 4., subparagraph 5., subparagraph 6., or subparagraph 7. and that is not the employer of the officer, employee, justice, judge, or other person specified in subparagraph 1., subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., subparagraph 4., subparagraph 5., subparagraph 6., or subparagraph 7. shall maintain the exempt status of the personal information only if the officer, employee, justice, judge, other person, or employing agency of the designated employee submits a written request for maintenance of the exemption to the custodial agency.

Answer No and No.

If you have any questions though there is a phone number on the form, call it, they will help you and not grudgingly I might add.

Ok, guys, thanks for your responses....

at least i have an idea of what I need to answer.

yes they do have a tel # that I can call with questions....

I'm going to do that tomorrow during my lunch break at work.

BTW by this coming monday my permit app should be going out to Florida....
as I will be taking and completing the NRA approved firearm training/safety course on sunday afternoon. :D

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/cwrecords.html

Concealed Weapons Public Records Request

On July 1, 2006, a new law went into effect that makes personal identifying information pertaining to a Concealed Weapon or Firearm license confidential and exempt from Section 119.07(1), Florida Statutes and Section 24(a), Article 1 of the State Constitution.

Exceptions to this exemption are:

* With the express written consent of the applicant or licensee or his/her legally authorized representative.
* By court order upon a showing of good cause.
* Upon request by a law enforcement agency in connection with the performance of lawful duties.

If one or more of these exceptions applies to you, please send your request and supporting documentation to Marsha Stroud, Public Records Liaison, via facsimile (850) 245-5505 or by US Mail [P O Box 6687; Tallahassee, FL 32314-6687] and your request will be reviewed and responded to accordingly

That is correct. However, the question is specifically asking if you are exempt under 119.071(4)(d). I posted that particular statue in its entirety. That statute applies to certain public employees and their families.

For your best answer call,
Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services

850-245-5691

You:
" Hello
I'm applying for a Florida concealed firearms permit ,
I am a private citizen from out-of-state, altho I am aware that information are private, I would like to know what I should check off, YES or NO on the application form regarding question #4 to keep that information confidential
........ Thank you "

Our organization encountered this when we organized events to help people apply. We were told by officials in Florida (the folks who work in the department that oversees the issue of permits, I forget what they're called), and they said that that question applied only to certain public officials in Florida (judges, prosecutors, even fire personnel), but ONLY in Florida.

However, after a newspaper started printing people's names and addresses, the Florida legislature passed a law restricting access to lists of permit holders. Now to access the information you must go in person, and you may review a particular individual's permit status, but you may NOT make general inquries, make copies, or publicize or otherwise make the information widely available. Prior to this, such permits were a matter of public record.

We were then told that the question is only on the form because they have not printed new ones yet, and that they will go through all the old forms before publishing new ones.

Bottom line, answer the question "no," unless you are a public official IN Florida. Your information is safe from public scrutiny, as the information can not, by law, be accessed by phone or other correspondence--only in person, and only if they ask specifically for your name.

Thanks Dewhitewolf and everyone else, I called the information hotline in FLA explained my situation and was told to answer "no" and that not to worry, my personal info regarding me being a permit holder will not be made public.....

Thanks to all who helped. I'm taking the NRA Pistol saftey class sunday afternoon, getting my certificate, and will mail out my CCW app to FLA on monday night....

:D

Back