Need Handgun Suggestions

Pvt. Joker

Hey guys,
I posted awhile back about getting a handgun. What do you think would be a good first gun in 9mm Auto, Some I ideas I have, Beretta 92FS, Sig P226, Not much, but a start... I would like to stay around 500 dollars if possible. What are the pros/cons to these guns? I won't be carrying it, I live in Wisconsin, just for the range, and maybe some small game hunting. Also, How long, if any is the waiting period? Thanks much...

-Jared

I only own one 9mm pistol

and it's a CZ-75BD. You can't beat these pistols for value. Out of the box the trigger is adequate and the accuracy is remarkable. It's a full-size grip with a 4" barrel, so it's easy to shoot. Aftermarket grips and accessories are available.

Good luck with your choice.

Regards.

I agree with Ledbetter... Great guns, not just starter guns.

The only thing that comes close is the Ruger P-95, which might -- Please note that I said "might", and didn't make an assertion to that affect -- be more durable over the long run.

I've had both, and much prefer the CZ-75B. (I've also had several SIGS and a great Glock 17, and prefer the CZ to them, too.)

Hey, Pvt. Joker-

First of, let me say there are several excellent choice's for a first time owner of a 9m/m caliber handgun.:) It really depends on whether or not you want SA/DA auto, S/A
only auto, DAO only, or Glock's "Safe-Action" firing mechanism.:eek: Some examples of each are as follows:

SA/DA auto's include the Beretta 92/92FS, Sig-Sauer P226/P228, Browning BDM, etc. just to name a few. I mostly
see the Beretta's in the DAO mode; but I'm sure there are
other's as well. Then there is Glock models 17/19/26, with
the "Safe-Action" trigger. Oh, yes the greatest single action 9m/m ever built is the John Moses Browning patented
BHP; which stands for Browning Hi-Power. All mentioned are
great firearms; it just depends upon one's demands.:D:)

Regards,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

The Ruger P95 IS durable, Walt. There are plenty in service with many thousands of rounds through them. Pvt Joker can also pick one up for around $300 - $350 if he shops a bit.

More Clarifying...

Hey guys,
Thanks for all the speedy replies. I should have stated earlier, I would like a SA/DA. The CZ-75 sounds nice, Where can I find more info? Are Sigs as accurate as the CZ? I really like the feel of the 92FS but don't care for the open slide design. How much does a CZ75 go for? Who makes them, and where are they made... Thanks again.

-Jared

Don't mess around--get the SIG 226. The gun is reliable, durable, accurate, and hi-caps are readily avaiible. People might disagree as to their personal firearm--but no pro is going to deny that the SIG 226 is a fabulous sidearm. Heck, the SEALS carry it. The only problem is that they usually run around $575--which may be just outside your range. Get it, buy the other guns later.

GHB

You would not wasting your money on the finest 9mm available, the (fill this space)

A CZ75 is excellent; accurate, reliable, inexpensive, and hi-caps available at modest cost. Oh, it's made from STEEL.

http://www.cz-usa.com

For a First Timer's handgun?
This is going to be your first handgun?
Ruger GP100.
Once your down with handguns - this revolver... then you could move to an auto. I'ld suggest an auto with a Decocker.
Sig is good, S&W is good... lots of good options...
But to start out - get a revolver.

That is the biggest misconception around. "Get a revolver..." Please. My own dearest mother whom I took to the range and tried to teach commented that "Why are you having me shoot this thing, the trigger is too heavy and it gets dirty too quickly." Do not get me wrong, I like revolvers, its just that I feel if a person has an earnest desire to become proficient at marksmanship and not have to spend more money latter on that the logical choice is a decent semiauto. The quality of the trigger pull on any revolver I have ever shot gets worse after each box of ammo sent down range. I have no desire to spend what little time I have cleaning the weapon at the range. Maybe its just me, but I shoot a LOT when I go to the range. This way, the new shooter will spend more time shooting and learning the fundamentals and less time with weapon maintenance. ON THE OTHER HAND, revolvers are excellant bedside weapons as all the springs are at rest, you dont have to worry about compressing mag springs, etc. My own opinion is to get whatever feels the best in your hand that is in the price range that you can afford. (for the record, I will cast one more vote for the CZs, good stuff) :)

To Follow-Up George Hill...

Make it a .22 revolver if you can. Even if you decide on a semi-auto, make it a .22. The finest training tool available to learn real mastery of a handgun. Those who start out with the heavier calibers work harder and never progress as fast or as far as the shooter who starts with .22.

And there's nothing like dropping 10 bux and shooting 500 rounds... try that with a 9mm sometime...

Darryl

If you won't be carrying the handgun and you might use it for small game hunting, then I think a .357 Magnum revolver with a 6" barrel and adjustable sights is worth a look. Why?

1) The wheelgun will allow you to use ammo with a wide range of power levels -- everything from primer-propelled wax bullets to screaming magnum loads. You'll also be able to shoot full wadcutters, which are better small game bullets than hardball or most JHP projectiles.

2) You'll get adjustable sights, which none of the semiautos in your price range have.

3) You'll get more sight radius (the distance between the front and rear sights) which makes aiming more precise.

4) You should get better accuracy than you'd get from a comparably-priced semiauto.

My own dearest mother whom I took to the range and tried to teach commented that "Why are you having me shoot this thing, the trigger is too heavy and it gets dirty too quickly."

Trigger pulls vary. Obviously, a revolver's DA pull is going to be longer and heavier than the SA pull of a single action or traditional double action pistol, but it will usually be smoother than the DA pull of a DAO pistol or the first shot of a TDA pistol.

And I don't understand the complaint about the wheelgun getting dirty "too quickly". Huh? You'll get powder fouling near the barrel/cylinder gap, but so what? If it gets heavy enough to cause binding, whip out your handy toothbrush and you can scrub it clean in about 20 seconds.

T-hee...

The quality of the trigger pull on any revolver I have ever shot gets worse after each box of ammo sent down range.
Spent some time at the range tonight. Mostly shooting a 1911A1, a P7M8 and a 625-4. The Colt and HK wished they had single-action triggers like that N-frame wheelgun... :)

$500 will get you pretty much any 9mm you want, short of a P7 or P210, if you shop around. A CZ or Beretta variant are two outstanding choices for a first semiauto.

Back