Need grips for a S & W Model 10 Square butt

bernie

My wife has a 2" barrel model 10 with a square butt that she dearly loves. The problem is, she has small hands (she is 5' 2" tall) and the squre butt is very difficult for her to shoot double action. Are there any grips for a square butt K frame that will help a small hand hang on better. Rubber grips would be preferred. I do not want to spend more than $50. And where can I get the grips you recommend. Thanks for the help.

The old factory checkered wood small grips seem to work well with small hands. They are not popular anymore because they don't look "Tactical" and can often be found in the used grip boxes at swap meets, gun shows, older dealers etc for under ten bucks.

Sam

auctions

Go to gunbroker.com and look under firearms accessories, then under grips and look for them in the auction. I've found some very good stuff there including the grips for my model 10-8 in the wood configuration. I had to get a pair for my gun classes just for the reason you stated, women with small hands.:)

bernie,
Are the grips on the K frame the small factory ones?
You indicate she has trouble 'hanging on' while shooting double action.
Describe the type of grips and how they don't fit her.
You have either a plam swell problem or a finger length problem.
I know of combinations, and yes, even modifications to the small S&W grip as well as thin plam swell rubber grips.
Let's attempt to be precise and I will help you.
Don Mallard

I think there is a spegel boot grip offered by either uncle mike's or Butler Creek out there. It is small, if I recall. It doesn't cover the backstrap and fills in behind the trigger guard. Good luck.

The grips that came on it are the original Smith & Wesson grips. They are wood, checkered, start very thin at the top, and get very fat at the butt. Being fat at the bottom and thin at the top tends to cause the pistol to want to "squirt" the grips down in the hand and the hand up toward the hammer in recoil. This happens even for me and I have big hands and am a foot taller than my wife. I am guessing something very thin would be helpful.

I second the recommendation for the Uncle Mike's/Butler Creek boot grips for the square-butt Model 10. For about 15-20 bucks they can't be beat. They don't extend below the grip frame; they don't cover the backstrap; they are slim; they are checkered rubber.

Back