need fast help on a K31 stock

k31

i am building a bull pup stock for a k31
YES I KNOW!!!!! why would i do it ??? to make it simple i plan to use a scout mount to eliminate the off center clamp on mount and the only way i can do that is by building a bull pup to shorten the eye relief. i also am learning a lot about wood working and such in the process .
SO. on to the point. the forward mounting bolt is in the way of trigger assembly rod by about half an inch. i can either off set the rod by 3/8" or i can use a shorter mounting bolt. i dont want to waste time that i am quickly running out of, can i get away with using a 1 3/4" bolt rather than my 2 3/4 bolt? i am not too sure just how much recoil that front bolt takes and if my 1 3/4 bolt with a washer is suitable for the job. i am using soft maple that i cut down the middle then laminated together and the bolt i exactly on the seam.
i figure the difference of the inch will be split just enough to allow room for the trigger rod and give me some play to go up or down. i will be using a washer when mounting the bolt and have measured by backing the bolt out 2 turns so i can crank it down tight when it is all said and done.

will the short bolt hold enough meat to not rip the stock ????

lol.
the dont freak out post is mine. and this is the same project i am really close but i start work soon and i need to get this done before i go back in the spring
i have 2 days to finish the mock then the rest of my time is for the real stock
spfar very very few people have made any hting similar i have found pics of the stock the military made but now real idea of how much recoil the front bolt is responsible for holding
i wasnt sure if a washer would be enough to hold down the front bolt with out ripping through the wood. i know the original bolt is much shorter but it also is helped with the trigger guard. tonight i have to have this prob fixed so i can move on to the trigger rod which may be a long and time consuming task.
and yes i am buggley i figured k31 was already taken :) i decided to post this on as many sights as i can seeing as there are many people that know this rifle more than i do and i might run into some one that has experience with this sort of thing. the swiss site dosnt get too many posts per day so i thought i would get the word out

Actually we've had one for about a year. I can't tell you a thing about it because it will be marketed wtih our other product lines sometime this summer.
Post a picture of yours when its done. I'm interested in seeing what you've done.

zfk55

So, if you look on swissrifles, it will show you ( you will have to search ) the recoil areas for the K31. Your other question seems to be about scope mounting, you may want to look at Rock Solid's mounts to get over the bore.
I don't know a quick way to get where you want to go, but others have been able to accomplish that goal. Good luck.

Back