Need Dove Recipe's

MARCUSHOSS

Inactive
I just made my first dove hunt. It was the most fun that I have ever had with my clothes on. I have heard about wrapping the breasts in bacon and grilling them, but that's it. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I would appreciate any and all ideas.

I've tried several different recipes. It still tastes like liver. I usually give mine to my hunting partners.

Dove is a dark meat and grilling em is Ok but there are better ways.

Put a little (just enough to cover the bottom of the pot) oil in the bottom of a good iron pot or magnalite pot and heat it. Season the doves liberally with Tony's Cajun seasoning (if ya can't find that use a mix of salt, ground red pepper, garlic powder etc.) and put them in the pot and brown them good. After they are well browned take them out and put in a couple of chopped onions and cook them down the add the doves again and put some water in it. Cook em till the meat is just about to fall off the bones then take em out and eat. Take the gravy and pour tht over rice.

Another way is to make gumbo with them and cook some smoked sausage and fresh raw oysters in the gumbo with them.

My dove hunt got well rained out with the remenants of Fay :mad:

Go to

http://fooddownunder.com

run the search-first for dove, then for other game birds. You will find a lot of good ideas. Be forewarned, however, that not everything there is a winner, you must compare the recipe to your own tastes (or your expected guests') before diving in. I use Food Down Under a lot, but find I most often combine elements taken from several recipes.

This is a great and relatively easy marinade:

1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup oyster sauce
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 cup melted butter

Run everything in a blender 'til smooth. Marinate meat overnight. Bake, broil, or grill, basting with the marinade, until done.

Variations and enhancements include adding a thumb sized piece of fresh ginger and/or 1-2 fresh serrano chiles. The butter may be omitted when marinating supermarket meats but should be included for game.

Oyster sauce is available in the oriental foods section of most supermarkets.

recipes

Thanks to all of you. All of us in the hunting group are going to have a cookout with all of our meat taken over the year pretty soon and it will be nice to have several different tastes to try. Now all we need to do is get some crawfish, trout and turtle to round out the feast.

Thanks to all of you.

Cajun Eatin

Thanks for the website info Southla1. There use to be a Cajun joint in Cleveland that had Buffalo Crawfish. It was great, just like the wings, only much better. I have tried to get some of the local wing joints to try it but they all said people wouldn't eat crawfish.

Thanks again

I have found Dove best grilled. I marinate overnight, in a baggie with olive oil, jalapeno pepper, scallion, white wine, salt, and some fresh sage

Drain, skewer the birds, and grill over charcoal (NOT ON A GAS GRILL), over indirect heat. Tender, tasty, and goes well with bourbon.

To do the 'indirect heat thing', bank the coals to one side, place birds at the edge of where the coals are.

Mannlicher is headed in the right direction. No matter how I prepare, or cook my doves, I first soak them in white wine for at least an hour or two. This tenderizes the meat and also makes it a bit less gamey.

Awww, Aunt Bea, that is extree good! Ain't that right, Barney?

Anyone ever try soy sauce as the liquid part of a marindae?

When I am overseas in Syria we bar-b-que almost every nite (and drink beer) about all there is to do there except work.

Chicken is a favorite and we came up with this idea. I take the cut up pieces of chicken and douse it with Tony's seasoning, then add in some chopped up onions and garlic and put it all in one hellofa big plastic container ( we usually do 15 kilos or chicken at a time :D) and fill the container enough to cover the chicken with plane everyday soy sauce (we can steal that from the mess hall by the gallons so it's avaliable) and let that sit for at least 4 or 5 hours preferably overnite.

Dove can be great!!

Here is what ya need!

Charcoal Cooker
Charcoal
Hickory Wood Chips
Bacon
Jalepena's
Zesty Italian Dressing Mix

We are having a Dove cook this weekend as a matter of fact.

Marinade Dove for 2 hours or more. Take dove and wrap with bacon, slide two jalepena slices tween bacon and dove.

Put charcoal on one side of cooker only. Get fire going and let it cool down pretty good, then put the doves on the side away from the coals. Cook until done. Tastes like chicken sw style.

Back