Need Butt Plate for Marlin 1895 45-70 Govt

FreeMan1953

Inactive
I am new to this forum. I've read some of the posts and it looks like an excellent site. Sorry to begin my membership with a question but I have an issue I cannot resolve.

I have a Marlin 1895 45-70 Govt. with a curved shoulder mount on the stock and a straight grip in walnut (Ser.# BOO 8765). A friend recently set it down too hard on a concrete floor and chipped the butt plate and part of the butt stock. I've called Marlin and a couple of old parts dealers and cannot find the replacement butt plate. This gun was manufactured in the mid 1970's and has the straight stock grip and the moon shaped shoulder stock.

Any ideas on where I can get the butt plate. I would love to have the original but will settle for an aftermarket piece.

Thanks!!!

I'm afraid that won't fit his gun. The 1st year or 2 1895's were re-introduced they had a curved buttplate. I'll try to find a photo.

I finally found one. Jack First in SD had it. The only one they had. Price S&H was $47.93 but worth it. My gun was manufactured in the mid 1970's with the curved butt stock and plate. Marlin does not make them any more, nor does anyone else so I was at the mercy of someone having an old OEM part. Jack First did, thankfully. I wanted to keep the gun original and even though the crescent shape can hurt you if you aren't careful mounting it to your shoulder, I like the look and the originality.

Now, the plate is not cut to exactly fit the gun. According to Marlin and Jack First the OEM plates were made to overlap the stock and then to be cut back to create a perfect fit. Does anyone have any thoughts about how to do that?

I'm thinking about mounting the plate on the gun, taping around the stock to keep from scuffing and then using a small hand held electric sander to sand down the plate (it is plastic). Any other ideas?

Thanks for all the help and advice.

James

Back