Need boar Hunting with .357 Buffalo bore advice

Methinks the 180. Two holes better than one - unless piggy so fat they plug and no blood when he run off into bigger briar patch to die. Or maybe not die. Maybe try to get even when you go into briar patch looking for him. ;)

In hunting you should always use a heavy bullet for penetration ,especially pigs since only exit holes bleed.So I would say the 180 for larger pigs and the 170 for smaller ones .The heart and lungs are just above the front leg so line up with the leg and 1/4 to 1/2 of the way above the bottom of the pig.The spine is connected to the head at mid-point not the top of the head like a deer.

Honestly, I can't imagine why you wouldn't use the 180. It's the premo choice for your .357, if you're using it for hog. I agree that through-and-through should be your goal.

I also agree that CNS shots are the best way to go with hog. Excepting rifles on shoats, my preferred aim point on a hog is the area 2 to 4 inches behind the ear.

Go with the 180LFN, the heavier the better,keep your shots under 50 yards and you'll do okay as long as you hit the right point,,for get the shoulder,try to drop it just behind, or practice alot on a melon and go for the head shot.

Back