Need Better Sights for my budget 1911

1Mo'Gun

Inactive
I have an ATI FX1911 that I really want to change the sights on, but to be honest with you, I have no idea about 1911 style sights (i.e., style 70, 80, Novak). I'd spend about $50, if I knew what I was looking for.

Can anyone offer any specific brand/model suggestions?

"...spend about $50..." That limits your options a great deal. Novak, for example, rear sights alone run $37.99 from Brownell's. However, Gunparts lists very plain sets at $38.25. They do a 3 dot "slightly higher than USGI issue" sights for $25.75 too.
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/1911/us-1911a1/sights-1911a1
I really do not recommend installing 'em yourself. More about the front(needs special tools), but getting the rear exactly in the middle of the dove tail isn't a job for a dowel and plastic mallet.

Well, that's a shame. I was hoping it would be as simple as changing out my Glock sights. Which I have done, several times. I can't see investing in higher grade sights AND professional installation for this gun. I bought it only as my introduction into the platform and work outs at the range. I like it, but it shoots all over the place :(

The beauty of cheap 1911s is that they're cheap.
Getting a set of higher-profile sights that fit the stock mounting system shouldn't be too tough, unless ATI uses metric equivalent dimensions.
The rear sight can usually be drifted out and replaced without trouble, while the front will need to be staked by someone with the proper tools; even then, I'd think $25 should more than cover the installation.
You maybe be able to find an old set of sights on ebay (King's Hardball, for instance) for cheap, and have only $50 into it when you're done.

I have an ATI FX1911 that I really want to change the sights on, but to be honest with you, I have no idea about 1911 style sights (i.e., style 70, 80, Novak). I'd spend about $50, if I knew what I was looking for.

Can anyone offer any specific brand/model suggestions?

Partly depends on which dovetail you have. Dovetailed front sight, or staked?

I'm pretty certain the ATI FX has a GI dovetail for the rear sight and a staked front sight. Even ignoring the front sight (which is actually the one in more need of improvement), changing the rear sight to something like a Novak would require recutting the dovetail profile.

There's lots of options out there. You might want to check out a store that has a variety of options and find the one you like the best.

Changing dovetail sights is relatively straight forward. This type of work can be done by a gunsmith in a matter of minutes and the prices should be be reasonable. Even cutting a new dovetail was cheaper than I figured it'd be at my local gunsmith.

Thanks. I'll take it all into consideration. I'll even see how much my local dealer would charge, but I honestly cannot see me putting too much more money into this gun. I like it - although it doesn't seem to like JHPs (jams up, every time, but I think that is a deficiency of this particular gun and the feed ramp). I like the 1911 platform but I've already convinced myself that if I did like it I would get a better one.

Well, that's a shame. I was hoping it would be as simple as changing out my Glock sights. Which I have done, several times. I can't see investing in higher grade sights AND professional installation for this gun. I bought it only as my introduction into the platform and work outs at the range. I like it, but it shoots all over the place :(
As you've probably read or been told, nothing about a 1911, even an inexpensive one, is like a Glock.

Go look at 1911 sights at Brownells.

For the most part,the Novak,etc sights are more money and require slide machining in many cases. I am partial to the rugged reliability of fixed sights.

You might look to an outfit called 10-8 and another called Harrison.I think I use the 10-8.That sight is not real expensive Its a little bigger,wider U-notch version of a GI type rear sight. I think they both lock in place with a set screw. That means they probably will go in easy.

I use it with a large Trijicon round bead Tritium sight.The two work well together. Thing is,that Trijicon front sight is more than $50,not installed.It has to be staked in place and the tritium is in a glass vial.I think Trijicon will stake the sight in your slide for a reasonable fee.The proper tool for installation is expensive..IIRC,about $300. The vial is easy to break.
IMO,while a stake in front sight is not a real big deal,getting it right takes some care and skill. I would not suggest it as a way to lose your pistol smith virginity There are other stake in sights . Maybe fiber optic?

My justification for a tritium front sight is trouble often occurs at night.

Before you do anything,measure your existing sight heights and write it down. Check if you are shooting high or low. With that nfo you have a base line to get your sight heights right.
http://www.10-8performance.com/1911-nm-rear-sight/

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/sights/rear-sights/1911-retro-rear-sight-prod31893.aspx

The thing is,at $30 something,that rear sight leaves you about $13 for your front sight and installation......which seems to say your budget of $50 is not realistic.

As far as feeding,I'd start with some good magazines. Another part critical to good feeding is a properly tuned extractor. You might leave that to a good gunsmith,and I'd expect he;d like to put in a hgh quality extractor.Just smile and pay the man.

I'd take care of those before I even wondered about the feed ramp.

I bought an ATI for my Son in Law. IMO,its a pretty good gun.I upgraded the sights,and a few other parts.(Slide stop,hammer,trgger,sear are Ed Brown/Cylinder and Slide Duty and Carry)

Some others may snear at the ATI,but I saw the ATI as a better gun than the Croatian Springfield Mil Spec I worked on. It had correctable but disappointing problems..like a plunger tube falling off,the sort of battered burrs on the chamfers of the frame mortice for the barrel underlug that would just about require running the mill spindle in reverse..This burr was snagging and marring the barrel underlug. The feed ramp was shaped by some line worker with a die grinder who gave the feed ramp the profile of a beer belly.Rounds stripping out of the mag hit the near vertical "navel" area of the feed ramp,and stopped.

The Springfield may have more snob appeal,but I'd rather work with,and trust,the ATI. Don't under rate your gun. It would cost just as much to upgrade the sights on a $1000 mil spec 1911 if you did not like the sights.

Gunsmiths don't work cheaper on a $400 gun.

Last edited:
OK,I guess I stand corrected. I did some searching and could not come up with a Croation Springfield 1911.

Wherever it was made,the Springfield 1911 I worked on made an ATI look really good

OP, you have some research to do. I can assure you your front sight is likely staked. Then you have to look at narrow tenon vs wide tenon. And the dovetail specs of your rear sight blade. I don’t know ATI specs, nor am I inclined to look it up for you. I suspect the ones in the link I’m posting will work, but do your own due diligence. At under 40 shipped, they’re a decent option.

Further, don’t be afraid to stake your own front sight. I’ve done it with a dremel and a steel punch. There are videos out there and you can accomplish it without 50 dollar staking tools. The front sight blade is close enough to the end of the slide that a regular punch will stake it without too harsh an angle, but you’ll have to sand/grind the staking smooth as the metal will be pushed rearward and create a high spot that will prevent the barrel bushing from going in. I dare say there’s 10s of thousands of 1911s with a home done with a similar front sight staking job that have been fine for thousands or 10s of thousands of rounds.

Link to sights.
https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/sights/sight-sets/1911-fixed-black-sight-sets-prod41672.aspx

I have a millet adj sight for 1911/ with a front. I don't know how much they cost it was on a GI Rem Rand I bought years ago that I returned to original.

I bought it only as my introduction into the platform and work outs at the range. I like it, but it shoots all over the place :(

Most sights, especially military style on 1911s, unless they are loose and move between shots, are not going to produce patterns "all over the place". That is either ammo, degree of accuracy the gun is capable of, or the shooter. Even the highest priced sights are not going to improve any of that.

If your front sight has a dovetail, your options are a lot better. If youve ever dealt with the larger, staked in aftermarket front sights, you know why dovetails are a good thing.

Back before dovetailing became popular, getting the larger staked in front sights to stay on was a common problem.

At one point, I think it was Millet, had front sights that used a double roll crimp, and they worked well too. I had them put on a number of guns, and never had one come off.

Ive had new staked in front sights come off in the first mag after getting them back a couple of times, which is very annoying, especially when you consider how long it takes to get anything done from most gunsmiths is.

Once they started doing the dovetails up front, I went with that, and they were never a problem. They also make doing it yourself a lot easier.

My favorites on most things are the standard height, fixed, three dot night sights. Basically, a fast to acquire, easy to see, any time, any light sight.

Back