Need Beretta M9 active duty holster recommendation

spacecoast

My son is stationed in Afghanistan for the remainder of this year, and while on duty is permitted to carry an M9, which allows him to be a bit more "hands-free" than toting around his M4, which he does when off duty. He is a communications guy with responsibilities for maintaining computer and peripheral hardware, networks, etc. and has to spend some time crawling around in tight places.

He and a buddy have been sharing a holster for the gun, but the buddy is shipping out and my son will need a holster. He'd like something that doesn't interfere with his uniform pockets and might also be compatible with his PT outfit (for which I guess he is allowed a belt of some type).

For you guys who have been there and done that, what do you recommend?

He can pick up one of the Blackhawk SERPA holsters at the PX on base. He will only be able to use a DoD approved holster, so you cant just ship him whatever you think is best

The SERPA is DoD approved and like i said he can just go buy one tomorrow

I used that holster in a belt mount, thigh rig and a vest mount in both A-stan and Iraq. On mission and off, concealed and exposed. I like em

I'm fairly certain the current holster isn't DoD approved, but passed on the information. I'll report back what he has to say about what he currently has and what might be available.

I confirmed with my son that his current holster says "made in Afghanistan", but he is going to check the PX and see if they have anything available.

I used the SERPA when in uniform. I mounted it directly to my web belt using the belt loop attachment since I didn't like the feel of the paddle or the drop leg/thigh holster (which made me sweat if pulled tight and flopped around if loose) The hip mount is not a problem when seated in an office chair as the holster hangs free off the cushion, but it will be a problem when seated on a couch or in a vehicle seat. To deal with this, I got the male/female quick release attachments which allowed me to detach the holster from my waist and mount it to my vest. I loved this set up.

When in PT uniform, I bought an Afghan made cheap leather holster that I used with my same web belt. I couldn't use the SERPA because my PT shorts do not have belt loops, and the SERPA stuck out too far and would sag. The cheap leather holster hugged close and could be pulled in tight.

Some FOBs have a bulletin board where people buy/sell/trade stuff. He can put an ad requesting a holster and maybe someone has an extra one. Also, civilians and contractors sometimes leave their holsters behind when they leave. Finally, most anything can be bought in the markets. Including SERPA holsters.

By the way, I was with a NATO unit which wasn't very particular about whether our holsters were DoD approved or not.

Safariland auto lock?

I hear occassional chatter about the SERPA and sand/grit and AD's, but can't advise as to the truth regards the matter. My own casual experiments with a SERPA indicated I had fat, clunky fingers and trouble finding the button when in a hurry. I suppose I could have trained around that but found an alternative.

The Safariland Auto Lock Systems, whether in duty or concealment models are at work in a lot of agency holsters across the country. The concealment model is a fairly tidy arrangement, with a release I found much easier to locate, just under the shooting/gripping thumb. It seems a big chunky part, easy to locate, and not likely to bind with grit. And they are priced reasonably.

Just a general statement; Different commands may allow the use of different holsters or rigs and how they are to be worn. I have seen and/or used Galco M719 T shoulder holsters issued, old M7 tanker holsters, the M-12 Bianchi flap holster, Blackhawks etc... It really depends on what the commands policy is. It also depends on what his duties are.

A Commanding Officer can authorized unit specific gear under his/her organizational authority. It also allows them to authorize other gear not issued by the command.

Hooyah

Back