Need Answer on CCW Weapon Registration

randyman_ar

Inactive
Hey guys, bought my wife a revolver for Christmas that is registered in my name(since I was the actual purchaser). She is wanting to use it for her CCW ....so........ do we need to do a transfer to her name? Or is she good to go?

It's not "registered" in your name. AR has no registration - the 4473 isn't (necessarily) registration and nobody but the dealer knows who the gun was sold to. She can carry it and shoot it and even have it. You don't need to tell a soul or get permission.

Ditto. I researched this issue recently and came up with the same result for VA.

As long as it's not just 'loaned' out to her, you're fine. BTW this is not a bash or dig in any way, but be absolutely SURE she doesn't have a prior felony and meets all criteria for firearms ownership. It wouldn't be a good thing if she had to use it in self defense then come to find out there's some old legal record floating around from 'back in the day', then you get hit with a straw purchase.

As long as your wife is not prohibited from owning a firearm (and if she has a CCW permit, that should be proof enough), then allowing her to carry that firearm for protection should keep both of you out of trouble.

Under federal law, it is perfectly legal to give a firearm as a gift to your parents, spouse, siblings or children as long as they are not prohibited persons.

State laws may differ, but no federal crime has been committed.

I lived in Arkansas when must issue concealed carry was passed, moved away a year or two later. I remember on a family members application, a place to enter the make, model, caliber, and serial number of the handguns you planned on carrying. Is this still on the application? Over the years, I have wondered what the purpose of that was. Did it carry any legal weight? Was it a useless provision put in by the anti's to create a quasi handgun registration?

Under federal law, it is perfectly legal to give a firearm as a gift to your parents, spouse, siblings or children as long as they are not prohibited persons.
Even Sarah Brady allegedly "bought" an alleged "sniper rifle" for her alleged "son", who was then given an honorary membership in GOA. :D:D:D

It is legal to give a firearm as a gift to anyone as long as they are not prohibilited persons. It is not restricted to immediate family members.

Thanks for the clarification, Hkmp5sd.

I wasn't clear on how the law affected anyone outside of immediate family.

Back