Need an Officers Length 38 Mag........

EQUALIZER

Actually going to build a 9x23 win with an officers length grip. BTW, we're talking about a 1911 single stack. Problem is that I can only find short 1911 mags in 45. 38Supers work for 9x23, but are too long. They'd be good for extra carry mags (10 rnds), but I think I'll need to chop some down. Has anyone here tried this?

I think I could measure or insert and scribe the length. Cut it down and weld/ braze the base pad on. Would like to have the option of a removeable base pad for cleaning and regular replacement of weak springs, but that doesn't seem like an option.

Any opinions?

eq

A 1911 style mag can be disassembled easily to replace the springs without removing the baseplate. Depress the follower, insert a thick paper clip or similar object through one of the holes to hold the spring down. Tilt the follower and remove it. Remove the paper clip without looking at the spring (point it in a safe direction). And....there you have it!

Thanks

I appreciate the info. Sounds like its a good option. That should take care of my problem! Just weld the bottom and remove the guts from the other side when needed!
Feel so dumb. I can't believe I've never tried this or heard of removing springs and followers this way....

As we say in WV......Awesome possum!

Best regards Preserve Freedom,

eq

If you want base plate takedown, buy one of the mags that are made that way, disassemble it and cut the mag body down, making it the same as the original. Don't forget to leave room for the side tabs that those mags use. Then bend over the tabs, cut down the spring, reinsert the follower and spring, reinstall the retainer plate and base plate, and you are good to go.

Jim

Awesome possum!

I was thinking about that and what it'd take to get a good tight bend on those tabs to reinsert the base plate the same way. Wanted to here from someone who's been there and done that. If it turns into a problem or won't turn out right, I can always go ahead and weld it on. I think I'll go that route first, because I can always weld it on. Thanks alot for the advice!

My possum thanks you too Jim. :)

A couple of good solutions that need submitted to Brownells "Gunsmith Kinks". As good as the smiths at Brownells are, it took a couple of the Firing Line smiths to set the record straight.

Best regards,

eq

Back