Need all lead non-FMJ ammo for a mosin

PigFarmer

Mods if this needs to be in the handloading section please move.

I am trying to find an all lead non-FMJ ammo for a mosin, needs to be manufactured as the person this is for does not reload. I've done some google fu but most of the sites don't mention if it is a bi-metal projectile which around here is a big no no.

Thanks

There is no cast lead commercial ammo for 7.62x54R. FMJ is perfectly legal in Texas. If you are going to insist on cast bullets only, you might as well measure the actual groove diameter of the barrel and make up some of the proper diameter. You can probably use a commercial bullet like this one from Leadheads PBN30-200G 303 British .311-.312 200GR or these from laser-cast 30 Cal. 170g RN FP .310. You'll need to put your own GCs on the l-c bullets. Both are very hard alloy, so don't go too low on the speed or you'll lead up in a hurry. A good soft alloy plain base bullet about .001 - .002 over groove diameter would be best, but isn't something that is going to happen quickly unless you are a set up caster.

My problem isn't state law, its those $*%*#($ range rules that prohibit steel core and FMJs. Only other place to shoot is my deer lease and that's a long drive to plink during the off season

I think you will have to order some, I think that you are asking for non-steel core soft point. Prvi partizan makes some but I hear its .308 diameter.

Prvi Partizan and S&B both make soft points that I believe are copper jacket and not bimetal. I don't have any at the moment or I'd put a magnet to it...it's not the cores on a lot of the commercial, it's the bullet jacket (like Wolf, which I know is bimetal)

As noted above though, some is .308 which shoots like crap out of my sporter MN that is MOA accurate with .311 handloads.

All you can do is try...

I'm guessing you mean non steel jacketed?

Privi (aka Wolf Gold) is probably the cheapest and easiest to find. A few of the higher end brands like Hornady and Lapua probably have some too but it will cost you.

Try to find out for sure about S&B before buying any. Their 7.62x39 IS bimetal and will fail the magnet test. I've been under the impression that at least some of their ammo is copper/lead only.

I used to go to a range with similar rules - thank God I'm done with that.

We have a indoor handgun range closeby that has that stupid rule... I hate buying Prvi when I can buy Silver Bear 9x18...They say it screws up whatever devices catch the bullets. If that's so, then how is it that anything goes at the next indoor range a bit further away...

But a rifle range? Is it indoors?
I've never heard of an outdoor rifle range with dirt berms with such a restriction. No incendiary, No tracer rounds (and no .50 BMG) are our only rules.

non jacketed rifle rounds will deposit lead into the rifling.:D

On a side note, this is the reason I hate indoor ranges. Not only do their price per hour suck, but they either want you to buy their ammo or you can't use certain types of cheap plinking ammo.

Back