Need advise

DennisCA

FYI - I live in CA
A person on another gun forum has offered to sell me this:
z7k5.jpg

Lyman .54 cal plains pistol
(The seller is a bit dirty and he hasn't shot it)
Prob w/shipping it will be around $200

The metal under the hammer doesn't look right or this normal?

Or I could get this for the around the same price:
http://muzzle-loaders.com/pistols/traditions/traditions-kentucky-pistol.php
:D
Your thoughs/comments?

It does not look like it has taken care of at all in fact it looks like it shot and put away without cleaning it. The most i would pay is 50.00 as a project. I was given a CVA that looks like the Traditions Kentucky pistol in the link in the same condition as the Lyman. I brought it back to live but it was a lot of work. If you look around you can find a good used Kentucky pistol for a 100.00.

Get more info from the seller ...

Too many unknowns and at this price, you would really be taking a chance. Why don't you ask him if he has a 3-Day, no fire inspection period. This is a common practice. If he balks, at the idea, then that is a pretty good indication on it's condition. Quite often, I ask the seller to provide more pictures of the bore, muzzle, snail pocket of drum and nipple areas. Not always but if it looks rough on the outside, she's rough inside. ..... ;)

At face value, I'd pass on this one and even though I do prefer the Lymans, I'd go with the Traditions. :cool:

Good luck and;
Be Safe !!!

For another $60 you could buy a kit from Track of the Wolf - all would be new and you'd have the fun of finishing it yourself. I know you probably want a "finished" pistol - but this one, which looks like it never saw a cleaning is way overpriced in my book. You might luck out and it would clean O.K. or . . . and that's a big OR . . . you could end up with a bore that was so rusted and pitted it couldn't be cleaned up.

Looks OK to me. The receiver plate is CCH and looks a bit off-color anyway. I paid over 3 bills for mine. They are a marvelous gun to shoot. If you can examine the bore and the rest of the gun 'in person' and it looks good, I'd say go for it. It's gonna get shot anyway....

Be advised also that there have been problems with the .54's cracking at the grip part of the stock. No such troubles reported with the .50 cals but I have no idea why.

Back