Need Advise...S&W 629 Mountain Gun

Halffast

My local shop has a used .44 Mag Mountain Gun for $500. The gun is in good shape but this seems a little high to me. What do you all think? Also, were all of these made before the "agreement"? Thanks.

David

For a used gun it is on the high side. Value should be around $400. It should be pre-agreement but since the "agreement" has not gone into effect why worry about it?

FWIW, the local mom-and-pop gunshop in my area sold a used .44 Magnum MG for $475 last year. This particular gun was like new, though. The story was that the previous owner didn't like the recoil, so he traded the gun away after shooting less than a box of ammo through it. From how good the gun looked, I'd say the story was plausible. :)

Sounds hi priced to me also, perhaps they are thinking it has some value to the "investment shoppers" I now Colt prices went up when Colt stopped selling to civilians.
Might ask them what a regular 629 would cost new.

$$$ ?

Hey David-
Everyone wants to take a N frame home for $400 and SOME do
but most do not. The Mountain Gun series is very popular
and quite possibly the handiest revo S&W has ever made. It's price will remain firm no matter how many they make. I'm not sure of the total production figure but it's over 6,000,
IMHO.

I really enjoy mine in .41 and .44MAG with .44SPL handloads
grouping around 1 inch all day long. Try $500 out the door.
You could get a M29/629 4 inch for 450 but it's 5 oz. heavier and not the packin' gun the MTN. is...best...dewey

PS++I'm planning to get one in .45ACP this summer.

David: I picked up my 629 Mountain Gun for $430 off of the the net. It cost me $20 to have it shipped. It was new in the box from the very first production run back in the late 80's. $500 seems a little high but not excessive if the gun is in excellent condition. I'd reckon a lot of the Mountain Guns are shot very little due to their rather noticeable recoil. The used ones are usually in very good condition. I really like mine and have put around 500 rounds through it. They are great packing guns. I carry mine daily here on the ranch. Trigger action is typical Smith: near perfect glass rod single action and a double action that can be worked to oily smoothness. Mine has the hammer mounted firing pin but the later runs have the new frame mounted pins. Not better or worse in my opinion, just different. The load most used in my gun is a hard cast 300 gr. bullet at 1200 fps. Recoil is attention getting due to the shape of the grip frame. Proper stocks help reduce some of the slap. I ditched the miserable Pachmayr Grippers that came with the gun (anyone need some Gripper's for a round butt N-frame?). I worked a set of square butt N-frame factory stocks down until they fit my hand, dulled the checkering, and am going to round butt them. The extra width and smooth wood is much more comfortable when shooting the heavy loads. They also conceal better and don't stick to your cover garment like the rubber grips. I don't expect my gun to last a lifetime of shooting these loads so I'm working on a lighter load with a 260 gr. WFN at 1000 fps for plinking and fun.

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies. I went back into the shop on Friday afternoon and they had just gotten an older 2 1/2 inch Model 66 in that was like brand new. It was made when S&W was owned by LSI. It came with the box, all of the paperwork, and two sets of grips. I bought it, so the MG will have to wait. If they still have it in a month or two, they may be more negotiable on the price. Thanks again for the help.

David

Back