Need advise on M1A clone...please help...

FlintLock

I have an opportunity to buy an M1A clone in .308 cal made by Auto Ordinance, probably in the late 1950's. It is in like new condition, has detachable mags, and the owner wants $1000. I like the rifle but I don't know the market for this type of rifle. Is this a good buy?

Flintlock 1000.00 seems kinda high from that weapon made from that company. you can find use m1a springfileds for that much. Also a new one will cost about 1200.00 I wold look around befor i would buy that.

House

Uh, did you say an M1A (clone of an M-14) made by Auto-Ordance in the 1950's? no such animal to the best of my knowledge. Semi-auto M-14 rifles didnt' come out until long after the 1950's and Auto-ordance didnt' make them either. I would be very careful on this one.

I've read in Blake Steven's book on the M14 that Auto-Ordnance (aka: Nurmich) did assemble M1As on behalf of Springfield Armory Inc. during the '70s. The guns were marked as Springfield Armory though and not Auto-Ordnance.

Are you sure that the gun isn't Federal Ordnance (Fed Ord)? of California fame? If it's Fed Ord, the receiver was casted and their jigs and assemblers were not noted to be first rate. Don't be surprised if the holes for the rear sight or the gas cylinder isn't straight.

Thank you all for your input. I come to this forum to tap into the superior knowledge of others (I'm a novice, can you tell?), and I sincerely appreciate your responses.

Back