Need advise on double barrel

EW

Inactive
I would like to purchase a double barrel, mostly for clay, what would be a good choice for something between $1000.00-$2000.00 range???? Thanks for any advise!!

In that range are the Beretta 687 and the Browning Citori. These are very popular choices. The higher grade Beretta 682 is just over $2,000 and is also a good choice.

Going down the scale, a Ruger Red Label but these are not as popular as the Brownings or the Berettas and IMHO not as good. Same with the Remington and SKB over/unders but there are those who like them.

Try as many of these as you can and pick the one that fits you best.

Gizmo99,
Either one will do, this would be my first double barrel. Actually, I like side by side better, but for the price range I'm looking at, there seem to be more over/under, a GOOD side by side seem to be around $4000.00, so, I'm getting a Beretta. Maybe my next one would be a side by side, or maybe I can spent $300.00 to get a russian first just so I have a side by side. What do you think??

Dagny,
Thanks to your link, I now dream about a Holland & Holland side by side. But, I still think I should buy a house first.... than again, maybe not!! :)

PJR,
Thanks for you advise, I think I like Beretta better, from what I have been told at the gunshop, Browning are now made in Japan.

EW

As much as I like sxs, I shoot over/unders for clays. You are on the right track to get an over/under for your first gun. I prefer Beretta over Browning as well, not so much for country of origin but for the better handling of the Berettas.

There was a recent posting on sxs in which some of us aired on views on the subject. It's in the archives. For $2,000 or less you could get a serviceable sxs -- a new Ugartechea Model 30 or 40 or an AyA Model 4 or a good used gun. Stay away from the Russian crap.

Back