Need advice

thumbtack

I am not much of a revolver fan, I mainly stick to auto's. Although recently I have noticed the Cimarron Lighting, http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/Lightning-sa.htm , it is a really sharp looking revolver. I am considering getting one soon and I was wondering if anyone here can tell me about this revolver, or any experiences that you may have had with other Cimarron firearms.

I have a 5-year old Cimarron (4 3/4 bbl, standard grips) that I have shot quite a bit and like. It seems to be well made and reasonably accurate. I have no experience with the newer ones, except that I noticed at a gun show that some had very sharp firing pins, which could be trouble down the road.

Cimarron guns are (or were) made by Uberti, who is probably the best of the Italian makers. I never cared for birdshead grips, but that is a matter of preference.

Jim

Cimmaron in general has a top rep among the Italian-source vendors. They're making sure they get the very best Ubertis, which are good to start with.

When I did some digging into this gun a year or so ago, I found that .38+P wasn't advised, and the safety still isn't considered good enough for six-up carry. But for those that consider a Vaquero too beefy, this is a great choice.

Sidenote: does anyone know if a Ruger Single Six that started life in .32Mag could perhaps be adapted for .38Spl? Is there enough beef in the Single Six cylinder for six .38s?

If so, done up in a chopped barrel and the new Bird's Head grip frame, Ruger would have a better gun than that Cimmaron...but at present, such a piece doesn't exist.

The Ruger in .32Mag is the closest thing available. A grip frame very close to that Cimmaron is available from North Carolina Ordinance for all the Rugers. You'd have 100grain JHPs available doing about 1,000fps...not quite a .38+P, but into .38 territory.

Difference is, you'd have a real safety and six-up carry available.

Back