Need Advice

Tim Croley

I have been looking for a small, concealable pistol to carry in the warmer months. I've looked at two in particular. They are the Bersa .380 and the Kel-Tec P-11.

They seem to be very close in size and weight. Which would be easier to shoot with under extreem situations?

Which would be, in your experience, the most reliable?

I know that the 9mm is superior to the .380, but I'm a little concerned about the dao of the P-11.

I had a S&W 442 that I didn't keep very long because I became discouraged with it. Will the P-11 be easier to shoot than the Smith?

Also, I've seen a couple of posts about the Star Firestar Plus.

Who makes this gun and do they have a website?

Would this be a gun for me to consider as well as the other two?

I would truly appreciate any help that would be given.

I have been around guns all of my life, but have mostly carried revolvers.

I am, however, familiar with auto's, having owned several. I've just carried the smaller revolvers more.

I think that, given the equality of weight and size, that I'd take the higher capacity and more effective cartridge of the Keltec P11. I have a Keltec P11, and it's been very reliable, right out of the box. I've heard generally positive comments about the Bersa, but you're comparing a large .380 with a small 9mm. It does take a little practice to get used to the Keltec, but it will reward you by being one of the most compact 9mm carry options you can find, and at a good price too!

The Kahr is out of my price range.

I have really been thinking about this for a while and I just get the feeling that I could shoot the Bersa better.

I know that it takes practice with any gun, but I think that I could become more proficient with something other than a dao alot quicker.

My reasoning is that one or two good hits with a .380 are far better than 11 9's missing their mark.

Am I going about my reasoning wrong?

I think that I would have to put in alot more time with the P-11 to stay good with it.

Tim

How about the kahr P-9mm. Thin, light and with me reliable with non plus p. Same size gun as the others but it seems to me alot better quality. Sorry , we posted @ the same time and for some reason i cant edit/delete my post

What problem did you have with the 442? Recoil or the trigger pull? The P-11 has a very long trigger pull. I don't find recoil of the P-11 too bad despite it's light weight. I used to have a 442 some years ago, I would have to say that the recoil felt stronger on the 442. The older ones (like I had) had a much larger grip than the newer ones which would help concealability but I would imagine makes the recoil seem more severe.

alamo,

I think that it was probably a combination of both the dao and the recoil.

I've just never been a big fan of dao guns. What appealed to me about the P-11 was the size and caliber.

The dealer that I use has sold a good many Bersa'a without any problems. Their reliability is very appealing to me, but I'm still not sure.

I know that the P-11 will be a little easier to conceal, but I don't think that there's a very big difference in the size of the two.

The Bersa is also less expensive and that is a consideration as well.

Tim

Back