need advice?

axis223

so here is my dilemma. I started with a 12ga combo with slug barrel and Nikon 2-7-32. I then purchased a cva stalker 45-70 and topped it with a 3-9-40 Nikon bdc and after a year or so kinda started thinking maybe 2-7 was the way to go. I then got a 44mag rifle and took the slug gun 2-7 and put it on the 44 rifle. My buddy asked if he could use the slug gun and I said I don't have a scope for it. well my local shop had a Nikon 2-7 in an add for $99 after rebates which they misprinted and got me for $140. I'm thinking tell the buddy sorry he cant use it cause no scope, put the 2-7 on the 45-70 and sell the 3-9 or just take the 2-7 back because its unopened and never been mounted. I honestly have no idea why I got this scope tonight I feel like an idiot.

Ok so let me get this straight you have 3 scopes.

2-7, 3-9, 2-7 new unopened.

3 guns
12 gauge, 45-70, and 44.

The slug gun is the only one without a scope.

If you think you got a good deal on the scope then keep it. I doubt selling the other one will be worth your time but who knows. Then tell your buddy if he wants to borrow your slug gun that he will have to buy a scope to use it or no deal. Or if you have a field barrel hat you can shoot slugs through offer him that combo with no scope.

The 45-70 has a 3-9 now. 44 has a 2-7 and I just purchased a 2-7 to put on the slug barrel for a 12ga. Part of me likes the 2-7 better for size but what about light?

Are you asking which will work best in low light. If so the answer is the best quality scope, not necessarily magnification or lense size.

Assuming equal quality there is a mathematical way to determine the size of the cone of light that passes through the scope to your eye. Divide the front objective size by the magnification. If you have a 40mm scope set on 9X it will allow a 4.5mm diameter beam of light to hit your eye. If you have the 32mm scope set on 7X it will allow a 4.4mm diameter beam of light to hit your eye.

Virtually the same, but the scope with the best quality glass will have a higher light transmission rating and will appear brighter.

For most people 5mm is about as much light as their eyes can handle. Some people still in their 20's with above average eyesight can use about 6-7mm. Set a 3-9X40 on 8X, or the 2-7X32 on 6X or even a 1-4X20 scope on 4X and you have 5mm of light with all and you have as much light as you can use. Dropping down to a lower magnification, such as using the 3-9X40 on 4X will result in a 10mm light beam hitting your eye. But it won't appear any brighter to you than at 8X.

Larger objective lenses allow you to make use of more magnification. A 4-14X40 scope would do a poor job in low light set at any magnification above about 8X. Going to a 50mm lense still works well in low light up to about 10X, but would still do a poor job above 10X.

I'm asking what would be better for 200yard and under shots in ohio on a deer with a 45-70. i kinda like the way the 2-7 handles on the rifle but I'm a shotgun hunter so scopes and rifles are new to me.

i took both outside for low light comparison and cant really tell the difference.

I know from experience that a 3-9x40 when set on 3X is plenty good for a clean, one-shot kill at 350 yards.

A 2-7x32 on 7X is plenty good on prairie dogs at 300 yards.

For decades, many and many a hunter has done quite well with fixed-power scopes of 2.5X and 4X.

IMO, just stick your 2-7x32 on that .45-70 and go practice. Odds are that you'll do just fine, once you get used to it.

it was wearing a 3-9 but I got curious and figured see how I like the 2-7 on it and its handling seems much better as the 3-9 has about 3-4 inches on the 2-7 and a little more weight.

Keep it and use it. Help your friend out, and you need the scope anyway. 2-7 will work just fine.

Edited to add: you may have to send your receipt or go online to Nikon to get the rebate; check with the store about that, or to obtain a credit for the correct amount you should have been charged.

Last edited:
"...no idea why I got this scope..." Local shop told you you could have it for $100 then reneged. Mind you, $140 isn't terrible.
Like Art says, quit worrying, use it and practice, off hand, at 100 on a 9" pie plate using the ammo you intend hunting with until you can hit it every time. What ammo that is matters too. .45-70 ballistics are kind of mortar like. For example, a 325 grain Leverevolution, sighted in 3" high at 100, is on at 200, but 27.8" low at 300.
A slug gun doesn't really need a scope. Even though most factory irons on 'em aren't great, they'll do. A scope only allows you to see the target better. It does not make a rifle/shotgun that doesn't shoot well with irons shoot any better.

I thought it was pretty screwed up for them to say oh well we have 3 ads going this month and the paper screwed up so its 139 not 100. I have to scope the slug gun because its a cantaliver mount on a mossy 500 so no sights.

I will probably keep it and put it on the slug barrel like intended and keep the 3-9 on the 45-70. if I ever want to switch to something smaller I can just swap them. as I said the slug gun doesn't get used anymore now that there are 2 dedicated rifles in the safe so that barrel sits there.

Back