Need advice on Taurus

mvdemarco

Looking at a used (very little) Taurus model 83 in .38 cal. Very good price. It has something that I have never seen before. The cylinder is "fluted". Is this an older version of this gun? Are these as high quality as the new Taurus guns?

Mike

All Taurus revolvers I've ever seen have fluted cylinders. Do you by chance mean unfluted? As in the cylinder is smooth?

If it's a very old revolver (Taurus doesn't list a M83 anymore) I would guess that todays revolvers from Taurus are going to be higher quality. In their early days Taurus had a reputation for producing cheaply made, inexpensive revolvers.

I have owned six Taurus revolvers in the last eight years and...........

have had mixed results with them. All have been in either .38 spcl. or 357/38 spcl. and all were NIB when I got them. In exactly half of them I have had serious enough problems that I had to send them back to the factory to have them repaired. I wan't shooting hot handloads or anything like that the problems were ones that came in the box when I bought the gun. In one case I had to send it back twice to get the problem remedied. The good news is that Taurus stands by its lifetime warranty and, eventually, did repair the guns to my satisfaction. The bad news is that I am really leery of buying any more Taurus revolvers. In fairness my most recent Taurus was a Tracker - 7 shot .357 - and it was just fine. Sold it to a friend who "could not live without it" and, so far, it has performed just fine.

I am not a big Taurus fan because like the girl in the fairy tale "when she was bad she was horrid"............... Good shooting.

I have bought myself 3 Taurus pistols. A Total Titanium 38 snubbie, a Stainless 38 snubbie and the recently released PT145. I have also bought my dad a identical Stainless 38 snubbie and helped a friend choose a Ultralite 38 snubbie.

That is a total of 5 Taurus pistols I have either bought or had a large input on their purchase. In all 5 cases I have been pleased with everyone of them. No problems whatsoever. So from my experience Taurus has been a great pistol builder.

I am sure I will be buying more Taurus pistols in the future. I've been shopping around for a Raging Bull 454 to add to my collection for giggles. :)

Back