Need advice on snubbie revolver shooting tecnique

speed

I am interested to see if any member can give me some advice or tip's on improving my accuracy with snub nosed revolver's

Bottom line?.......When I read post's of other forumites and I compare my shooting skill's to their's..... I stack up pretty well ..........well actually somewhere in the middle of the pack which is fine for now as I have not been shooting as long as most. And my guess is that I am in some pretty elite company to boot.

This hold's true when discusing large and medium frame handguns.....This is not so with subnose revolvers,I tend to get pretty good groups at close range "7 yds and less" but a bit too often I let off a stray round that destroys my groups.

Aside from that I am truly impressed with the longer range shooting skill's of some member's with their snubbies,clearly these weapons were not designed for this long range stuff but I find a need to increase my range at some point

I certainly need more practice with snubbies but that aside are there any tricks of the trade or technical differences that should be noted when trying to improve my snubbie skills?

thanks......speed

If your snub has a S.A. capability do not be afraid to use it as the range gets out there a bit. If D.A. only you will find for lack of a better term, a sweet spot as you squeeze the trigger that will almost act as a single action notch. Eventually you and the snub will get along great. of course practice as much as you can.

When practicing......each shot is an entity. Hold your sight picture all the way through the trigger pull. Little fellers take more practice. Practice in effort applied to each shot......not number of shots fired.

Dry firing at light switches etc is good. Clear your gun before starting a dry fire session. If you put the gun down during a session, clear it again before continuing to dry fire.

The short sight radius magnifies any sighting error......hence you have to become super critical of your sight picture.

Work will pay off.

Sam

The main reasons snubbys are hard to shoot are:
Short sight radius/smaller sights.
Too small grips.
Trigger action not as good as bigger guns.

All of these can be overcome by consentrating on the fundementals of shooting: sight picture/trigger control, and practice.

You can also fix some of the problems with the gun itself. Get a trigger job, and better grips. Also, be selective in WHICH snubby you use. You're not going to shoot as well with an aluminum S&W "mini" revolver, as you will with a "K" frame M-66.

It's not that snubbys are less accurate, it's just that they require much more effort to get the same results.

I've found that I can do some really decent rapid shooting using not the sights, but the L-shaped notch formed by the intersection of the top of the cylinder and the topstrap.

My main bit of advice with a snubby -- don't shoot at things very far away :(

The short sight radius, non-existent rear sight, and long DAO trigger make it very hard for me to hit much of anything with my 642. I sure hope I never have to make a 25 yard shot with it.

YMMV.

M1911

actually one of the ipediments to accurate shooting in the j-frame is the shorter trigger pull...the colt d-frame, with it's longer trigger pull, is easier to shoot.

when you can shoot a snubby well, everything else is a cinch.

1. make the gun fit you - larger grips untill you master the trigger and sight radius
2. don't fight the gun - have the action tuned and the face of the trigger smoother and rounded
3. don't hurt yourself - on a smith, knock down the points on the cylinder release and hammer (if you have one)

i always advise against switching back and forth between SA and DA when first trying to master wheel gun, the DA can be just as accurate if you take the time to practice.

bty - cr sam is correct, treat each shot as a separate enity

My advise is to always use the SA mode for aimed shots and to only use the DA mode for instictive point shooting.

if you treat each shot as a distinct entity, concentrating on a smooth squeeze to a surprise break...assuming that you are shooting 2 handed... a DA pull is more conducive to accuracy than a SA pull ;)

Back