Need Advice on S&W Model 66 value

Redwood

I came across a model 66 I am considering buying for my wife for home protection. Is a model 66, round but, was sent back to the S&W Performance Center, had a 3" ported barrel installed, night sights, action job, and comes with the original 2.5" barrel. Also has original grips and Houge grips. Asking price is $500. Is this a fair deal??? Thanks, es

A NIB 66 will run you in the 350-400 range. IMHO what you are looking at isn't worth more than 425. You almost never get back the money you put into a weapon for modifications. Having said that, you don't mention if it is in a store or from a private individual. If it's in a store and you can walk out the door after laying down $500, it might be worth it. If it's an individual, well there's always room for dickering. JMO.

Sounds like my K Comp, only stainless

The 66 was converted to a PC Comp style gun. I just sold mine for 425. I'm sure your're taken back by the 'tricks' that was done on the M66 but as the above poster said you'll never get your $ out of it. If it's a shop that has the piece I bet they only have 225-250 in it. For 500 I'd buy a used 66 3" and have a trigger job done and have 100 left. The ports are no bid deal, IMNeverTBHO. It realy isn't a range gun either as the 3" tube w/nite sites is hard to get on target. Be sure to do what YOU want to do ! ...best.........dewey

Redwood:

Did you shoot a ported .357 snubby?, I think no.

Try before to buy one !, if in a dark room or place ... better (remember to use "sun glasses or goggles" and double plug in your ears).

I´m a snubby fan (I actually own four) but NOT PORTED.

Good luck - ALP

Back