Need Advice on Revolver for Woman

Tecolote

My buddy's wife was recently scared by some men in her backyard. :mad: Luckily they ran away when they saw her, but that incident left her really shaken. :eek:

She wants to learn how to use a self defense tool. She's not comfortable around autos. She especially dislikes the manual of arms of an auto. I suggested they look into a revolver. She liked the idea, because of the simpler manual of arms. :p

I don't know much about revolvers and neither does my buddy. Please share what's worked for you.

I thought maybe a snubbie so she could use it for home and for carry if she decided to apply for a CCW license.

What about caliber and round choice?

Thanks!

Since it is going to be her gun. Strongly suggest she try as many as possible.

My first choice would be a nice used Smith Model 19, round butt, 2½" barrell. Can shoot real mild .38 specials middlin stout .38s and .357 magnums. Whatever she likes.

The biggie is to make sure she gets something she likes and will shoot. The more she shoots, the more proficient she will become. The more proficient she becomes, the safer she will be.

Sam

I would recommend going to a range and trying out a variety of revolvers. Get something in a medium to large frame (depending on what she can comfortably handle) to help in recoil absorption. I would also recommend a 357 magnum loaded up w/ a good 38 special +P defensive round. She may also want to enroll in a good handgun self defense class.

I would strongly recommend she look at a S&W w/ a 3" barrel. Either a 6 shot K frame or if she is OK with something smaller a 5 shot J frame. The extra barrel length and full size extractor are a real plus over the snubbies. Also, my wife is much more accurate with the 3" barrel. She recently picked up a S&W M66 and has been very pleased with it.

a437866.jpg

She's going to have to choose the gun, not you. What works for you may not work for her.

A number of my students have been women. Most of them had significantly smaller hands than the average man. As a result, while a S&W K-frame fits my hands perfectly, they just couldn't use it comfortably -- the reach to the trigger was just too long. If her hands are big, sure then a K-frame or a Ruger GP100 would be fine. But if her hands are small, then a S&W Model 60 or Ruger SP101 would be a better bet.

Regarding a snubbie, they are hard to aim, due to the short sight radius and poor (or non-existent) rear sights. Bigger, heavier guns are easier to shoot (less recoil) and easier to shoot accurately. It sounds to me as though she was looking for a house gun, in which case I'd go for a longer barrel. For a medium-framed gun, like a K-frame or GP100, I recommend the 4" barrel. For a small-framed gun, like a S&W Model 60, I recommend the 3" barrel.

I strongly suggest that you avoid the lightweight aluminum, titanium, or scandium models. They are indeed lighter to carry, but recoil is unpleasant. They have their place, but they are not what I'd give to a novice.

M1911

I'd look hard at a new Taurus revolver.

M605.gif

This 5 shot capacity Model 605 has a 2.25" long barrel, and isn't so light that recoil would be punishing but at about 25oz would pack comfortably in a purse. Although chambered for .357 Mag, I would have her only shoot .38 Specials, and maybe load up with .38 Special +P for defense. A new shooter could get turned off completely by shooting a full house .357 from a gun of this size.

85ulblue.gif

The Model 85 is a 5 shot 38 Special that can br purchased with either a 2" or 3" barrel. The standard steel gun (not the Ultra-Lite pictured) weighs a little less than the 605 (21oz), but is rated for +P ammo.

Both guns are also available in concealed hammer versions too.

Going with a new gun gets her a lifetime warranty & peace of mind in the product she buys. A Taurus won't break the bank to purchase new either. I've owned 2 of their guns; a snub Model 85 which I sold to buy a Colt Mustang and a PT940 that I still own. Based on my experiences, I recommend the brand.

M1911 has some good advice. My wife had a S&W 642 for her first gun but didn't like the recoil and consequently didn't like to practice shooting it. We got her a S&W Model 65 LadySmith (3" barrel) which she really likes. As M1911 suggested, I have always thought the S&W Model 60 with the 3" barrel would be a good choice as well.

Either a S&W 66 with a 3" barrel as Runner suggested.

OR

A S&W 686+ with a 4" barrel. 7 shot.

Both are .357

If they feel good in HER HAND!

How about that new Taurus CIA in .32 magnum? If she likes the .357/.38 choices suggested before that's definitely the way to go but they might be a little heavy.

Taurus doesn't make the C.I.A in .32 magnum but Taurus does make the Model 731 that is chambered for the .32 magnum and has a 2 inch ported barrel with a six round capacity at only 27oz. So I would suggest the Model 731.

J33Nelson

Both my wife and one of my daughters chose Ruger SP101s for their personal guns. They both have CCWs but don't carry often. My other daughter went with a S&W K-frame. They were all good choices. None of them shoot a lot, but they are all competent with their guns. FWIW they can train with 38s until they grow into 357s. The revolvers have the simple manual of arms that they will remember in a pinch. Watch-Six

My pick...

Taurus Tracker in .357 Magnum.

http://www.taurususa.com/tracker627.html

Advantages:

Ported barrel for less recoil when shooting Magnum loads

Can shoot .357, .38, .38+P

Sturdy, well-made, compact frame revolver that fits nicely in my hands (and being a woman, my hands are on the small side)

"Ribber" grips that are comfy and make the gun easy to handle when shooting Magnum loads

7 shot capacity

4" barrel which gives better accuracy than a snubbie

Great trigger pull! Just right!

Disadvantages:

Can't think of a one! :D

A 3" ruger gp100 in stainless or a 3" s&w model 64 or 65.
These heavier guns with their round but style grip seem to fit smaller hands well. Loaded with federal nyclad 125gr .38 spl would make a very controlable good defense round.
Stainless steel is also more readily observed in the dark---if the perp sees that you have a weapon, he may be more prone to leave the area and avoid a confrontation.
By all means, go to a gun range. Most folks will let her try out their guns as the majority of shooters are very helpful. She will find what she is comfortable with. PRACTICE PRACTICE.

Back